Propeller Rotation Problem - Please check

In summary: You are correct; by taking the average of the power output you are just getting the power output at the middle of the period of time.I think I see why you are doing what you are doing; you are trying to get the work done by the engine by taking the average power over the time the engine is on, and multiplying it by the time the engine is on; which of course is the same as taking the area under the power curve; which is the same as taking the work done during that period of time. I get it. So in essence you are doing this:P_{\rm ave} = \frac{\mbox{work}}{\Delta t}sowork = P_{\rm ave}
JWDavid
Thanks in advance - it went smoothly so I'm hoping I'm right but... usually that's when I've made a big mistake.

Homework Statement

An airplane propeller is 2.08 m (tip to tip) and has a mass of 117 kg. When the engine is first started it applies a constant torque of 1950 N m to the propeller which starts from rest.
a) What is the angular acceleration of the propeller? (model it on a slender rod).
b) What is the propeller's angular speed after 5.00 revolutions?
c) How much work is done during the first 5.00 revolutions by the engine?
d) What is the average power during the first 5.00 revolutions?
e) What is the instantaneous power output of the engine the instant it has completed 5.00 revolutions?

Homework Equations

I think this is all of them
I = mL2/12
[tex]\Theta[/tex]f = [tex]\Theta[/tex]i + [tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\alpha[/tex]t2/2
[tex]\omega[/tex]f = [tex]\omega[/tex]i + [tex]\alpha[/tex]t
W = [tex]\Delta[/tex]KE = I[tex]\omega[/tex]2/2
Pavg = [tex]\Delta[/tex]P/2 = [tex]\tau[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex]/2
Pins = [tex]\tau[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

work that got me to the answers below.
a) 42.2 b) 53.9 rad/sec2 c) 1.14 kJ d) 52.6 kW e) 10.5 kW

I = mL2/12 = 117*2.082/12 = 42.2

a) [tex]\tau[/tex] = 1950 N m = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\alpha[/tex] = 1950/42.2 = 46.2 rad/sec2

b) [tex]\Theta[/tex]f = [tex]\Theta[/tex]i + [tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\alpha[/tex]t2/2
5*2[tex]\pi[/tex] = 0 + 0 + 46.2t2/2

t = squareroot (20[tex]\pi[/tex]/46.2) = 1.166 seconds

= 0 + 46.2*1.166 = 53.9 rad/sec

c) W = [tex]\Delta[/tex]KE = I[tex]\omega[/tex]2/2
= 42.2*53.9/2 = 1.14kJ

d) Pavg = [tex]\Delta[/tex]P/2 = [tex]\tau[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex]/2 = 1950*53.9/2 = 52.6 kW

e) Pins = [tex]\tau[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex] = 1950*53.9 = 10.5 kW/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi JWDavid,

JWDavid said:
Thanks in advance - it went smoothly so I'm hoping I'm right but... usually that's when I've made a big mistake.

Homework Statement

An airplane propeller is 2.08 m (tip to tip) and has a mass of 117 kg. When the engine is first started it applies a constant torque of 1950 N m to the propeller which starts from rest.
a) What is the angular acceleration of the propeller? (model it on a slender rod).
b) What is the propeller's angular speed after 5.00 revolutions?
c) How much work is done during the first 5.00 revolutions by the engine?
d) What is the average power during the first 5.00 revolutions?
e) What is the instantaneous power output of the engine the instant it has completed 5.00 revolutions?

Homework Equations

I think this is all of them
I = mL2/12
[tex]\Theta[/tex]f = [tex]\Theta[/tex]i + [tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\alpha[/tex]t2/2
W = [tex]\Delta[/tex]KE = I[tex]\omega[/tex]2/2
Pavg = [tex]\Delta[/tex]P/2 = [tex]\tau[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex]/2
Pins = [tex]\tau[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

work that got me to the answers below.
a) 42.2

I just wanted to point out here that you seemed to have typed in the wrong value; 42.2 is the moment of inertia; but I see you have the correct answer for the angular acceleration below.

b) 53.9 rad/sec2 c) 1.14 kJ d) 52.6 kW e) 10.5 kW

I = mL2/12 = 117*2.082/12 = 42.2

a) [tex]\tau[/tex] = 1950 N m = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\alpha[/tex] = 1950/42.2 = 46.2 rad/sec2

b) [tex]\Theta[/tex]f = [tex]\Theta[/tex]i + [tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\alpha[/tex]t2/2
5*2[tex]\pi[/tex] = 0 + 0 + 46.2t2/2

t = squareroot (20[tex]\pi[/tex]/46.2) = 1.166 seconds

= 0 + 46.2*1.166 = 53.9 rad/sec

c) W = [tex]\Delta[/tex]KE = I[tex]\omega[/tex]2/2
= 42.2*53.9/2 = 1.14kJ

I don't think this is correct; it looks like you neglected to square the angular speed.

d) Pavg = [tex]\Delta[/tex]P/2 = [tex]\tau[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex]/2 = 1950*53.9/2 = 52.6 kW

This also looks incorrect to me. The average power is not just the work done divided by 2; the formula is something like:

[tex]
P_{\rm ave} = \frac{\mbox{work}}{\Delta t}
[/tex]

Your book may have it written differently, of course. But the point is its the fraction (work done in some time interval)/(time interval).

e) Pins = [tex]\tau[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex] = 1950*53.9 = 10.5 kW/s

thank you,
You are correct I did forget to square the angular speed.
But on the average power - it does work both ways. If you note I wasn't taking the work done I was taking the change in Power/2 {(torque*angular speed)-0}/2.

thanks again for your observations, I would probably have lost points on this had I not asked for help.

Sorry about part d; I was so focused on the dividing by 2 that I did not actually read what you wrote down, and just assumed you did the (work)/(time) route!

1. What is the "Propeller Rotation Problem"?

The "Propeller Rotation Problem" refers to a phenomenon where the rotational direction of an aircraft's propeller changes unexpectedly, causing problems with the aircraft's stability and control.

2. What causes the "Propeller Rotation Problem"?

The main cause of the "Propeller Rotation Problem" is a sudden change in the direction of the airflow around the propeller, often due to turbulence or other disturbances in the air. This can lead to a sudden change in the propeller's thrust, causing it to rotate in the opposite direction.

3. How does the "Propeller Rotation Problem" affect aircraft performance?

The "Propeller Rotation Problem" can greatly affect aircraft performance by causing unexpected changes in airspeed, altitude, and direction. It can also make it difficult for the pilot to control the aircraft, leading to potentially dangerous situations.

4. What can be done to prevent the "Propeller Rotation Problem"?

To prevent the "Propeller Rotation Problem," aircraft designers carefully consider factors such as propeller design, engine placement, and wing shape to minimize the effects of airflow disturbances. Additionally, pilots are trained to recognize and respond to the problem if it occurs during flight.

5. Are there any safety measures in place for the "Propeller Rotation Problem"?

Yes, there are several safety measures in place to prevent and address the "Propeller Rotation Problem." These include regular maintenance and inspections of aircraft components, as well as protocols for pilots to follow in the event of an unexpected change in propeller rotation.

Back