Proper way to cite your sources?

• Thread starter Newtime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sources
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a stylesheet in writing a math research paper. The style may vary for different journals, but there are resources available, such as the RSC style, for referencing. The individual does not have much guidance but is not under pressure to meet a deadline.
Newtime
...in a math research paper that is. I really have no idea. I'm assuming it's different than MLA. Is there a website or something out there that has the guidelines or is it different for each journal?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Probably different for each set of journals, or similar. Do you have a stylesheet that you could follow?

sjb-2812 said:
Probably different for each set of journals, or similar. Do you have a stylesheet that you could follow?

Stylesheet? I really don't have much of anything to go by. Fortunately, this isn't a huge deal since I have no real deadline but I would just like to have it look right when I get it to my adviser to look over. Is there no "general" way of doing things?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of citing sources?

Citing sources is important because it gives credit to the original authors of the information you are using in your work. It also allows readers to locate and verify the sources you used, and it helps to avoid plagiarism.

2. What information should be included in a citation?

A citation should include the author's name, title of the source, publication date, and any other relevant information such as the publisher or website URL. The format of the citation may vary depending on the citation style being used.

3. How do I know which citation style to use?

The citation style you use will depend on the subject area and the requirements of your teacher or publisher. Some common citation styles include MLA, APA, and Chicago. You can consult a style guide or ask your teacher for guidance.

4. Can I cite sources that I found on the internet?

Yes, you can cite sources that you found on the internet. Be sure to include the URL and the date you accessed the source to provide a complete and accurate citation.

5. Is it necessary to cite sources for information that is common knowledge?

No, it is not necessary to cite sources for information that is considered common knowledge. This includes widely known facts, historical events, and information that can be found in multiple sources. However, if you are unsure if something is considered common knowledge, it is better to err on the side of caution and include a citation.