1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of a Star Homework help

1. Dec 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A star cluster contains star HD1, which has an apparent V magnitude of 7.3 mag and a B − V colour of 0.5 mag. Its continuum emission peaks at a wavelength of 557.3 nm, and this star is known to have a bolometric correction of −0.4.
    (a): Calculate the distance to the star cluster.
    (b): For star HD1, calculate: i) the temperature, ii) the luminosity.
    A spectroscopic binary, composed by star A and B, is found within this star cluster. An observer monitors the variation of the Hα line, with restframe wavelength of 656.3 nm, finding a maximum wavelength of 656.5 nm for star A and 656.4 nm for star B.
    (c): Assuming circular orbits, calculate: i) the maximum radial velocity for star A and B; ii) the mass ratio of the two stars in the binary system.
    (d): Compute the luminosity ratio for star A and B.

2. Relevant equations
    m_u - m_v=2.5log(fv/fu)
    m-M=5log(D)-5
    T=2.898*10^3/(lamda max)
    BC=M_bol-M_v
    L=4piR^2(sigma)T^4

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't understand what the B-V colour is for part (a)
    Part (b) I think I've done using the 3rd equation I stated, and got a value of 5200K
    No idea for (c) and (d)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2015 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Courtesy bump.

4. Dec 13, 2015 #3
    bump , would also like to know

5. Jan 16, 2016 #4
    Hi Haydn:

The page
    http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/magcolor.htm
    says
    "When astronomers measure the flux of an object at two or more wavelengths, they can take ratios of fluxes. Since the logarithm of a ratio is the difference in logarithms, these flux ratios are defined by subtracting the magnitudes in different filter bands: such as U-B or B-V. In the UBV system, the zeroth magnitudes fluxes are defined for a bright nearby star with a temperature of 10,000 K [Vega]. Thus B-V = 0 corresponds to a temperature of 10,000 K, while a star with the temperature of the Sun (5,770 K) has a B-V color of 0.65."

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Buzz

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted