Properties of Contour Integrals - Palka Lemma 2.1 (vi) .... ....

In summary, the proof of Lemma 2.1, part (vi), Section 2.2, Chapter 4 is proving that if $u = e^{ -i \theta }$, then $\left\lvert u \rvert = 1$.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Bruce P. Palka's book: An Introduction to Complex Function Theory ...

I am focused on Chapter 4: Complex Integration, Section 2.2 Properties of Contour Integrals ...

I need help with some aspects of the proof of Lemma 2.1, part (vi), Section 2.2, Chapter 4 ...

Lemma 2.1, Chapter 4 reads as follows:View attachment 7429
View attachment 7430In the above text from Palka, at the start of the proof of (vi), we read the following:

" ... ... We suppose that \(\displaystyle \int_{ \gamma } f(z)dz \ne 0\) - (vi) holds trivially otherwise - and set \(\displaystyle u = e^{ -i \theta }\) , where \(\displaystyle \theta\) is any argument of \(\displaystyle \int_{ \gamma } f(z)dz\). Thus \(\displaystyle \lvert u \rvert = 1\) and \(\displaystyle \left\lvert \int_{ \gamma } f(z)dz \right\rvert = u \int_{ \gamma } f(z)dz\) ... ... "
My questions are as follows:
Question 1

Is \(\displaystyle u = e^{ -i \theta }\) a simple change of variable process?
Question 2

What is meant by " ... \(\displaystyle \theta\) is any argument of \(\displaystyle \int_{ \gamma } f(z)dz\)" ... ?
Question 3

Can someone please explain why/how \(\displaystyle \left\lvert \int_{ \gamma } f(z)dz \right\rvert = u \int_{ \gamma } f(z)dz\) ... ...?
Help will be much appreciated ..

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Question 1

Is \(\displaystyle u = e^{ -i \theta }\) a simple change of variable process?

Question 2

What is meant by " ... \(\displaystyle \theta\) is any argument of \(\displaystyle \int_{ \gamma } f(z)dz\)" ... ?

Question 3

Can someone please explain why/how \(\displaystyle \left\lvert \int_{ \gamma } f(z)dz \right\rvert = u \int_{ \gamma } f(z)dz\) ... ...?
1. No, it's not a change of variable. \(\displaystyle u = e^{ -i \theta }\) is a complex number, defined as in the answer to your Question 2.

2. \(\displaystyle \int_{ \gamma } f(z)\,dz\) is a complex number, so it has a modulus-argument form that we can call $re^{i\theta}$. Here, $r$ is the modulus (or absolute value) of \(\displaystyle \int_{ \gamma } f(z)\,dz\), and $\theta$ is an argument of \(\displaystyle \int_{ \gamma } f(z)\,dz\). (The reason for calling it "an" or "any" argument is that the argument is only defined modulo $2\pi$.)

3. So \(\displaystyle \int_{ \gamma } f(z)\,dz = re^{i\theta} = ru^{-1}\), and therefore \(\displaystyle u\int_{ \gamma } f(z)\,dz = r = \left|\int_{ \gamma } f(z)\,dz \right|.\)

Opalg said:
1. No, it's not a change of variable. \(\displaystyle u = e^{ -i \theta }\) is a complex number, defined as in the answer to your Question 2.

2. \(\displaystyle \int_{ \gamma } f(z)\,dz\) is a complex number, so it has a modulus-argument form that we can call $re^{i\theta}$. Here, $r$ is the modulus (or absolute value) of \(\displaystyle \int_{ \gamma } f(z)\,dz\), and $\theta$ is an argument of \(\displaystyle \int_{ \gamma } f(z)\,dz\). (The reason for calling it "an" or "any" argument is that the argument is only defined modulo $2\pi$.)

3. So \(\displaystyle \int_{ \gamma } f(z)\,dz = re^{i\theta} = ru^{-1}\), and therefore \(\displaystyle u\int_{ \gamma } f(z)\,dz = r = \left|\int_{ \gamma } f(z)\,dz \right|.\)
Thanks for the help, Opalg ...

Peter

1. What is the Palka Lemma 2.1 (vi) in contour integration?

The Palka Lemma 2.1 (vi) is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function has a pole at a point a, then the integral of the function over a closed contour that encircles a is equal to the residue of the function at a multiplied by 2πi.

2. How is the Palka Lemma 2.1 (vi) used in contour integration problems?

The Palka Lemma 2.1 (vi) is used to evaluate integrals over closed contours that encircle poles of a function. It allows for the calculation of these integrals using the residue of the function at the pole, which is often easier to find than the integral itself.

3. What are the properties of contour integrals?

Contour integrals have several important properties, including additivity, linearity, and the Cauchy-Goursat theorem. Contour integrals also follow the triangle inequality, are invariant under reparametrization, and have the maximum modulus theorem.

4. How does the Palka Lemma 2.1 (vi) relate to the Cauchy Residue Theorem?

The Palka Lemma 2.1 (vi) is a special case of the Cauchy Residue Theorem, which states that the integral of a function over a closed contour is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at all of its poles within the contour. The Palka Lemma 2.1 (vi) applies specifically to poles at a single point.

5. Can the Palka Lemma 2.1 (vi) be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Palka Lemma 2.1 (vi) can be extended to higher dimensions in complex analysis. In higher dimensions, the lemma is known as the Cauchy Residue Theorem for the n-sphere and states that the integral of a function over an n-sphere encircling a point is equal to the residue of the function at that point multiplied by the surface area of the n-sphere.