Understand Proposition 1.3 in Conway's Functions of Complex Variables I

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Proposition 1.3 states that if we choose a partition P of the interval [a,b] with a maximum length of subintervals less than a given value \delta_2, then the difference between the Riemann-Stieltjes integral and the corresponding Riemann sum will be less than a given value \epsilon. This is because, as the maximum length of the subintervals approaches 0, the Riemann sum will approach the Riemann-Stieltjes integral, making it a good approximation.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading John B. Conway's book, "Functions of a Complex Variable I" (Second Edition) ...

I am currently focussed on Chapter IV: Complex Integration ... Section 1: Riemann-Stieljes Integral ... ...

I need help in fully understanding aspects of Proposition 1.3 ...Proposition 1.3 and its proof read as follows:View attachment 7436
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7437
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7438In the above text from Palka, we read the following:

" ... ... Also, we may choose \(\displaystyle \delta_2 \gt 0\) such that if \(\displaystyle P = \{ a = t_0 \lt t_1 \lt \ ... \ \lt t_m = b \}\) and \(\displaystyle \lvert \lvert P \rvert \rvert = \text{ max } \{ (t_k - t_{ k - 1 } ) : \ 1 \le k \le m \} \lt \delta_2\) then \(\displaystyle \left\lvert \int_a^b \lvert \gamma' (t) \rvert \ dt - \sum_{ k = 1 }^m \lvert \gamma' ( \tau_k ) \rvert ( t_k - t_{ k - 1 } ) \right\rvert \lt \epsilon\)

where \(\displaystyle \tau_k\) is any point in \(\displaystyle [ t_{ k - 1 } , t_k ]\). ... ... "Can someone please explain how/why the above quoted statement is true ... ...?

Is it simply a restatement of the condition for the Riemann integral to exist ... ?
Help will be much appreciated ... ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
" ... ... Also, we may choose \(\displaystyle \delta_2 \gt 0\) such that if \(\displaystyle P = \{ a = t_0 \lt t_1 \lt \ ... \ \lt t_m = b \}\) and \(\displaystyle \lvert \lvert P \rvert \rvert = \text{ max } \{ (t_k - t_{ k - 1 } ) : \ 1 \le k \le m \} \lt \delta_2\) then

\(\displaystyle \left\lvert \int_a^b \lvert \gamma' (t) \rvert \ dt - \sum_{ k = 1 }^m \lvert \gamma' ( \tau_k ) \rvert ( t_k - t_{ k - 1 } ) \right\rvert \lt \epsilon\)

where \(\displaystyle \tau_k\) is any point in \(\displaystyle [ t_{ k - 1 } , t_k ]\). ... ... "Can someone please explain how/why the above quoted statement is true ... ...?

Is it simply a restatement of the condition for the Riemann integral to exist ... ?
Yes!

Hi Peter,

I have also read this section and can understand why Proposition 1.3 might be a bit confusing. To fully understand this proposition, we need to first understand the definition of the Riemann-Stieltjes integral.

The Riemann-Stieltjes integral is a generalization of the Riemann integral where the integrand is multiplied by a function of a variable. This function is called the integrator and is denoted by \alpha. In this case, we are dealing with the complex integral, so \alpha is a complex-valued function.

Now, Proposition 1.3 states that if we choose a partition P of the interval [a,b] such that the maximum length of the subintervals is less than a certain value \delta_2, then the difference between the Riemann-Stieltjes integral and the corresponding Riemann sum will be less than a given value \epsilon.

To understand why this statement is true, we need to look at the definition of the Riemann-Stieltjes integral and the Riemann sum. The Riemann-Stieltjes integral is defined as the limit of the Riemann sums as the maximum length of the subintervals approaches 0. So, if we choose a partition P such that the maximum length of the subintervals is less than \delta_2, then we are essentially making the subintervals smaller and smaller, approaching 0. This means that the Riemann sum will approach the Riemann-Stieltjes integral, and the difference between them will be less than \epsilon.

In simpler terms, the statement is saying that if we choose a small enough partition, the Riemann sum will be a good approximation of the Riemann-Stieltjes integral.

I hope this helps clarify Proposition 1.3 for you. Let me know if you have any other questions or need further clarification.

1. What is Proposition 1.3 in Conway's Functions of Complex Variables I?

Proposition 1.3 in Conway's Functions of Complex Variables I states that if a function is analytic at a point, it is also continuous at that point.

2. How is Proposition 1.3 useful in complex analysis?

Proposition 1.3 is useful in complex analysis because it allows us to prove the continuity of a function by only showing its analyticity at a point. This can save time and effort in mathematical proofs.

3. What is the difference between analyticity and continuity?

Analyticity is a stronger condition than continuity. A function is analytic at a point if it has a derivative at that point, while a function is continuous at a point if it approaches the same value from both sides of the point.

4. Can Proposition 1.3 be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, Proposition 1.3 can be generalized to higher dimensions. In fact, it is a special case of the more general Cauchy-Riemann equations, which describe the conditions for a function to be analytic in n-dimensional space.

5. How does Proposition 1.3 connect to the concept of holomorphic functions?

Proposition 1.3 is one of the fundamental properties of holomorphic functions. It shows that a function must be both analytic and continuous to be holomorphic, and it also implies that holomorphic functions are infinitely differentiable. Additionally, Proposition 1.3 is used as a building block in many proofs about holomorphic functions.