Properties of graphene/borophene etc.

• B
  • Thread starter sbrothy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential of using borophene for detecting hydrogen cyanide gas and explores the concept of layers of different thickness having unique properties. The different structures for 2D materials are referred to as monolayers, bilayers, van der Waals heterostructures, twisted monolayers, and Moire superlattices. However, it is unclear if this concept has been studied in Borophene. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that these different structures exhibit different properties and are fascinating.
sbrothy
Gold Member
In a recent paper about borophene it shows promise for detecting hydrogen cyanide gas [1903.11304 - Review of Borophene and it's Potential Applications]. My question may seem rather simpleminded but I'm under no illusions regarding my physics knowledge so please bear with me:

Did anyone consider that perhaps layers of 3, 5, 7 (etc.) atoms thickness could have other properties? Does this concept have a name or does it simply not make any sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually that would not be considered as a layer of larger thickness, but a structure consisting of several layers.

For 2D materials, these different structures are usually called monolayers or bilayers. They usually show very different properties. For example for TMDCs, a monolayer may be a direct band gap semiconductor, while a bilayer may show an indirect bandgap.

When considering multilayer structures, there are several concepts which carry different names. If you want to consider a structure made out of several monolayers of different materials, this goes by the name of van der Waals heterostructures. If you want to consider a multilayer system of the same material, where the individual layers are geometrically different (e.g. rotated with respect to each other - this also has a huge influence on the properties of the system), this goes by the name of twisted monolayers or Moire superlattices.

However, I do not know to which extent this has been studied in Borophene.

Very informative. Thank you. I guess I was thinking monolayers, or rather bi- or maybe even polylayers (if again that makes any sense). I'm not surprised that they exhibit different properties. Fascinating.

Or rather multilayers as you say.

1. What is graphene and how is it different from other materials?

Graphene is a two-dimensional material composed of a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. It is different from other materials because it is the thinnest and strongest material known, with excellent electrical and thermal conductivity.

2. What are the properties of graphene and how are they useful?

The properties of graphene include high strength, flexibility, and conductivity. These properties make it useful in a wide range of applications, such as electronics, energy storage, and biomedical devices.

3. What is borophene and how is it related to graphene?

Borophene is a two-dimensional material composed of a single layer of boron atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. It is related to graphene because it also has a hexagonal lattice structure and exhibits similar properties, such as high strength and conductivity.

4. What are the potential applications of borophene?

Borophene has potential applications in electronics, energy storage, and catalysis due to its unique properties and ability to form heterostructures with other 2D materials. It also shows promise in biomedical applications, such as drug delivery and tissue engineering.

5. What are the challenges in using graphene and borophene in real-world applications?

Some of the challenges in using graphene and borophene in real-world applications include the difficulty in large-scale production, the lack of standardization in quality and properties, and the need for further research to fully understand and control their properties for specific applications.