Properties of Inverse Matrices

In summary, out of the given options, only options C and E hold for all invertible nxn matrices A and B. Option D is not always true, as there exist matrices A where A^{-1} = -A. However, options A, B, and F are incorrect, as counterexamples can be found to disprove them.
tigger1989

Homework Statement

Determine which of the formulas hold for all invertible nxn matrices A and B

A. AB=BA
B. (A+A^–1)^8=A^8+A^–8
C. A^5 is invertible
D. A+A^–1 is invertible
E. (In+A)(In+A^–1)=2In+A+A^–1 (where In is the identity matrix)
F. (A+B)^2=A^2+B^2+2AB

Homework Equations

Certain properties of inverse matrices can be used. For example, if A is invertible, then A^k is invertible for all k greater or equal to 1 (this proves C to be correct).

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find counterexamples to prove A and B and F incorrect. However, the webwork program (designed for practicing basic Linear Algebra) I am using states that C, D, and E are not all correct ... what am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Option D is not always true. Try to find a matrix A where [tex]A^{-1} = -A[/tex].

C is actually correct. A^5 is invertible because if A is invertible, then A^-1 exists and (A^-1)^5 is also invertible. This means that A^5 must also be invertible.

D is incorrect. A+A^-1 is only guaranteed to be invertible if A^-1 is its own inverse, which is not always the case.

E is also incorrect. While the formula looks similar to the formula for finding the inverse of a matrix, it is not always true. For example, if A=I, then (I+n)(I+I^-1)=2I+I+I^-1=4I, which is not necessarily the inverse of A. Therefore, this formula does not hold for all invertible matrices A and B.

1. What are inverse matrices?

Inverse matrices are the mathematical inverse of a square matrix, which is a matrix with equal number of rows and columns. The inverse of a matrix A is denoted as A-1 and when multiplied by A, results in the identity matrix, which is a square matrix with 1s along the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else.

2. How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

To find the inverse of a matrix, there are a few different methods, including using Gaussian elimination, the adjugate method, or the inverse matrix formula. The most commonly used method is Gaussian elimination, which involves using row operations to transform the matrix into the identity matrix, with the same operations performed on an identity matrix resulting in the inverse of the original matrix.

3. Are all matrices invertible?

No, not all matrices are invertible. Only square matrices with non-zero determinants are invertible. A determinant of 0 means that the matrix cannot be inverted, as there are no solutions that will result in the identity matrix when multiplied by the original matrix.

4. What are the properties of inverse matrices?

There are a few key properties of inverse matrices, including:

• The inverse of the inverse matrix is the original matrix: (A-1)-1 = A
  • The inverse of a product of matrices is the product of their inverses in reverse order: (AB)-1 = B-1A-1
  • The inverse of a transpose matrix is the transpose of the inverse matrix: (AT)-1 = (A-1)T

5. What are the practical applications of inverse matrices?

Inverse matrices have many practical applications, including in solving systems of linear equations, calculating transformations in computer graphics and animation, and in cryptography for encrypting and decrypting messages. They are also used in various fields of engineering, economics, and physics for solving complex problems and analyzing data.