Relevant Equations
Trigonometry
1697019239760.png

In my working i have,

##\cos C = 2\cos^2 \dfrac{1}{2} C -1##

##c^2= a^2+b^2-2ab(2\cos^2 \dfrac{1}{2} C-1)##

##c^2= a^2+b^2+2ab(1-2\cos^2 \dfrac{1}{2} C)##

##c^2= (a+b)^2 (1-2\cos^2 \dfrac{1}{2} C)##
Now from here, ##k^2 =2## but text gives different solution. I am still checking this...am i missing something guys?

Physics news on Phys.org
From the third line
[tex]c^2=(a+b)^2 (1 - 4\frac{ab}{(a+b)^2}\cos^2 \frac{C}{2})[/tex]
So
[tex]k=\frac{\sqrt{ab}}{\frac{a+b}{2}} \leq 1[/tex]

• Informative
Likes chwala
anuttarasammyak said:
From the third line
[tex]c^2=(a+b)^2 (1 - 4\frac{ab}{(a+b)^2}\cos^2 \frac{C}{2})[/tex]
So
[tex]k=\frac{\sqrt{ab}}{\frac{a+b}{2}} \leq 1[/tex]
Ok nice one, i can see that

##(a+b)^2\left[\dfrac{(a+b)^2-4ab}{(a+b)^2}\right]≡a^2+b^2+2ab(1-2\cos^2 \dfrac{1}{2} C)##

but the text solution is ##k^2= \dfrac{4ab}{a^2+b^2}## and not ##k^2= \dfrac{4ab}{(a+b)^2}## as you've shown.

I hope i checked my textbook correctly...will have access to it later.

Last edited:
chwala said:

##(a+b)^2\left[\dfrac{(a+b)^2-4ab}{(a+b)^2}\right]≡a^2+b^2+2ab(1-2\cos^2 \dfrac{1}{2} C)##

but the text solution is ##k^2= \dfrac{4ab}{a^2+b^2}## and not ##k^2= \dfrac{4ab}{(a+b)^2}## as you've shown.

You have left out the cos2 on the left hand side of that first equation. It should read:

##\displaystyle \quad\quad (a+b)^2\left[\dfrac{(a+b)^2-4ab\,\cos^2(C/2)}{(a+b)^2}\right] = \dots ##

This is consistent with @anuttarasammyak's result and simplifies to:

##\displaystyle \quad\quad (a+b)^2\left[1-\dfrac{(2ab)\,2\cos^2(C/2)}{(a+b)^2}\right] ## ,

which can easily be compared to the 2nd or 3rd line of your OP.

Likes chwala
chwala said:

@anuttarasammyak you're 💯 correct. Cheers!

Was good question 🤣🤣🤣 mixed me up a bit. Wah! Expand with ##2ab## first, then factorize to have ##(a+b)^2## then divide each term by ##(a+b)^2## and multiply whole by ##(a+b)^2##.
Will post later once I get hold of laptop.

What i was missing was:

##a^2+b^2+2ab(1-2)##

on expanding we get;

## a^2+b^2+2ab-4ab=((a+b)^2 -4ab)##

then divide each term by ##(a+b)^2## and multiplying by ##(a+b)^2## realizes,

##= \left(1-\dfrac{4ab}{(a+b)^2}\right)×(a+b)^2=(a+b)^2\left(1-\dfrac{4ab}{(a+b)^2}\right)##

Last edited:
SammyS said:
You have left out the cos2 on the left hand side of that first equation. It should read:

##\displaystyle \quad\quad (a+b)^2\left[\dfrac{(a+b)^2-4ab\,\cos^2(C/2)}{(a+b)^2}\right] = \dots ##

This is consistent with @anuttarasammyak's result and simplifies to:

##\displaystyle \quad\quad (a+b)^2\left[1-\dfrac{(2ab)\,2\cos^2(C/2)}{(a+b)^2}\right] ## ,

which can easily be compared to the 2nd or 3rd line of your OP.
good but that is not really where my problem is though ...my problem is on the factorisation bit...

chwala said:
good but that is not really where my problem is though ...my problem is on the factorisation bit...
Maybe that was your problem, but in the threads you post, it's often difficult to tell where you're having difficulty, because all too often you skip steps and/or do not explain what you're doing.

For instance, in the OP of this thread you have:

chwala said:
##c^2= a^2+b^2+2ab(1-2\cos^2 \dfrac{1}{2} C)##

##c^2= (a+b)^2 (1-2\cos^2 \dfrac{1}{2} C)##
Smaller steps give:

##\displaystyle \quad\quad c^2= a^2+b^2+2ab(1-2\cos^2 (C/2)\, )##

##\displaystyle \quad\quad c^2= a^2+b^2+2ab-4ab\cos^2 (C/2)##

##\displaystyle \quad\quad c^2= (a+b)^2-4ab\cos^2 (C/2)##

##\displaystyle \quad\quad c^2= (a+b)^2\left(1-\dfrac{4ab\cos^2 (C/2)}{(a+b)^2}\right)##

Likes Mark44

1. How do I find the value of ##k^2## in a trigonometry problem?

To find the value of ##k^2## in a trigonometry problem, you typically need to use trigonometric identities and equations to solve for the unknown variable. This may involve manipulating equations, using trigonometric functions, and applying algebraic techniques.

2. What are some common trigonometric identities used to find ##k^2##?

Some common trigonometric identities used to find ##k^2## include Pythagorean identities, sum and difference formulas, double angle formulas, and the reciprocal identities. These identities can help simplify expressions and equations involving trigonometric functions.

3. Can I use the unit circle to find the value of ##k^2## in a trigonometry problem?

Yes, the unit circle can be a useful tool for finding the value of ##k^2## in trigonometry problems. By understanding the relationships between angles and trigonometric functions on the unit circle, you can solve for ##k^2## more easily.

4. Are there specific strategies for solving for ##k^2## in trigonometry problems?

Some strategies for solving for ##k^2## in trigonometry problems include setting up equations based on given information, using trigonometric identities to simplify expressions, and applying algebraic techniques to isolate the variable. It's important to carefully analyze the problem and choose the most appropriate strategy for finding ##k^2##.

5. How can I check my solution for the value of ##k^2## in a trigonometry problem?

You can check your solution for the value of ##k^2## in a trigonometry problem by substituting your answer back into the original equation and verifying that it satisfies the given conditions. Additionally, you can use trigonometric identities and properties to confirm that your solution is correct.