1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of Roots in Univariate Polynomial of Degree n

1. Sep 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. Let ##p(x) = a_{0} x^{n} + a_{1} x^{n−1} + ... + a_{n} , a_{0} \neq 0 ##be an univariate polynomial of degree n.
    Let r be its root, i.e. p(r) = 0. Prove that
    ## |r| \leq max(1, \Sigma_{1 \leq i \leq n} | \dfrac{a_{i} }{ a_{0} } | )##
    Is it always true that?
    ## |r| \leq \Sigma_{1 \leq i \leq n} | \dfrac{a_{i} }{ a_{0} } | )##

2. Relevant equations
    ##ar + br^{2} =0 ##
    ## r(a+br)=0 ##
    ## r=0 & r = -a/b##
    3. The attempt at a solution
    The last equation satisfies what they state but I dont know how to proceed?
    Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2013 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For almost all such polynomial probs there is no loss of generality in making a0 = 1 and then you don't have that denominator in the expression.

Not sure I know now to proceed either but since they bring in 1 as a case of maxima, it is suggestive when you put r = 1 perhaps.

I don't follow what you are saying with your relevant equations but when you can't see how to do it in general it is certainly good to try with n=1 and 2.

4. Sep 28, 2013 #3
    I sorta proved it by contradiction.
    Let's say that
    ## p(x)= ax^{2}+bx=0##
    ## 0=x(ax+b), \text{ then the roots are }r_{1}=0 \text{, } r_{2}=\dfrac{-b}{a}##
    ## |r| \geq \dfrac{a+b}{a} \\##
    ## | r_{2}|=| \dfrac{-b}{a}| \geq | \dfrac{ a+b}{a}| \text{, will never be true.}##

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  5. Sep 28, 2013 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That I think is not right, you have misunderstood the formula in the original problem. The Ʃ subscript contains a 1≤ not a 0 ≤. The theorem then is rather trivially true for the first degree case with the ≤ it was required to prove reducing to = . Also your factor x seems an irrelevancy. But there is maybe the germ of an argument.

As I said you avoid something unnecessary if you make, without loss of generality, a0 = 1. So then the question becomes:
    Let ##p(x) = x^{n} + a_{1} x^{n−1} + ... + a_{n} , ##

then prove

|r| ≤ max( 1, | a1 + a2 +... + an| ).

I think my previous idea leads there but maybe extending what you were trying does too.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  6. Sep 28, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's another hint. Since you have the 1 in the max, it's trivial if |r|<=1. So you only have to do some work for the case |r|>=1. You'll want to use the triangle inequality.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted