Property of the adjoint operator

In summary, the adjoint of an operator A is defined as an operator A* such that <\phi|A\psi> = <A^{*}\phi|\psi>. To show that (cA)* = c*P*, we can use the properties of inner products, specifically the skew-symmetry property. This allows us to show that <(cA)x|y> = c*<Ax|y> = c*<x|A^{\dag}y> = < x|c*A^{\dag}y>. Additionally, we can use the property (PQ)^{\dag} = Q^{\dag}P^{\dag} to simplify the expression further and show that (cA
ehrenfest
The adjoint of an operator A is defined as an operator A* s.t.

[tex]<\phi|A\psi> = <A^{*}\phi|\psi>[/tex].

How would you use the properties of inner products (skew-symmetry, positive semi-definiteness, and linearity in ket) to show that (cA)* = c*P*

Note that I am using the conjugate and the adjoint symbol interchangeably. If anyone knows how to get a real adjoint symbol in LaTeX let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
what does \dag do? I assume that A and P are supposed to be the same letter... and then it is trivial. What have you attempted?

Yes sorry. A and P are supposed to be the same letter.

You could use the skew-symmetry property to show that:

[tex]<\phi|cA\psi> = <cA\psi|\phi>^{*}[/tex]

and that

[tex]<cA^{\dag}\phi|\psi> = <\psi|cA^{\dag}\phi>^{*}[/tex]

but I do not see how that helps.

((cA)x | y) = ...

Unless I'm mistaken, you have to use the definition of scalar multiplication with operators, and two peoperties of the inner product. In three (four) steps, you can show what (cA)* equals.

I see. So, [tex] <(cA)x|y> = c*<Ax|y> = c*<x|A^{\dag}y> = < x|c*A^{\dag}y> [/tex].

What about the property [tex](PQ)^{\dag} = Q^{\dag}P^{\dag}[/tex]? This one seems a bit more difficult.

ehrenfest said:
What about the property [tex](PQ)^{\dag} = Q^{\dag}P^{\dag}[/tex]? This one seems a bit more difficult.

I wouldn't really call it difficult. Again, ( (PQ)x | y ) = ...

1. What is the property of the adjoint operator?

The property of the adjoint operator is a mathematical property that describes the relationship between a linear operator and its adjoint. It states that the adjoint operator is the unique operator that satisfies the inner product property.

2. How is the adjoint operator related to the original operator?

The adjoint operator is the "transpose" of the original operator, meaning that it is formed by taking the complex conjugate of the entries of the original operator and then transposing it.

3. What is the significance of the property of the adjoint operator?

The property of the adjoint operator has many important applications in mathematics, particularly in functional analysis and linear algebra. It allows for the formulation of theorems and proofs that involve linear operators and their adjoints.

4. How is the property of the adjoint operator used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the property of the adjoint operator is used to find the Hermitian conjugate of an operator, which is necessary for calculating observables and probabilities in quantum systems. The adjoint operator also plays a crucial role in the formulation of the time evolution of quantum states.

5. Can the property of the adjoint operator be extended to infinite-dimensional vector spaces?

Yes, the property of the adjoint operator can be extended to infinite-dimensional vector spaces. In fact, it is a fundamental concept in functional analysis, which deals with vector spaces of infinite dimensions. The property holds true for both finite and infinite-dimensional vector spaces.