Prospective PHD students: What to look for in a supervisor and topic?

In summary, the speaker is considering pursuing a PhD in plasma physics and is seeking advice on what to look for in a supervisor and research topic. They are interested in innovations in instrumentation, signal processing, and plasma control methodologies. They are concerned about being stuck in a field that has already been well researched and not being good enough. They are deciding between two universities, with one having a better reputation and more funding. The speaker is also torn between pursuing a PhD in engineering or physics and is interested in process control, automation, combustion dynamics, and power engineering. They are hoping their research topic will involve a combination of transient/control theory, thermofluid dynamics, and process or kinetic modelling. They plan on speaking to current students for advice and
parsec
I have undergraduate degrees in Physics and Mechanical Engineering. I'm pretty bored by my work as a systems integration engineer and am strongly considering doing a phd in plasma physics.

I've been told that the quality of my supervisor, his/her contacts and the amount of funding they can requisition will be large factors contributing to the likelyhood of my success. Could you guys give me any tips on what to look out for in a supervisor and what I should look for in a topic?

I am very interested in innovations in instrumentation, signal processing and plasma control methodolodies to allow us to glean more from experiments, and possibly achieve improved plasma stability. I figure that my practical background will allow me to shorten the research and implementation lifecycle.

I am a bit worried that I might get stuck for fundamental innovations in this field because it is so implementation based and possibly been well researched already. I'm also worried that I'm not good enough.

I basically have two universities to choose from. One is 300kms away (ANU) and the other is relatively close by (20ks or so). ANU have a much better reputation, are more research oriented and have a lot more funding. Is it worth taking the lifestyle hit for the better institution?

Here's a masters topic that piqued my interest:

Real Time Signal Processing and Analysis for Plasma Experiments: (V,H,MPh)
A LabView-based control system for fast acquisition of vacuum magnetic
surfaces (Poincare plots) will be extended to include data acquisition
and initial analysis of a 720 view x 64 channel tomographic system. This
system will display data in various raw and analysed forms during
acquisition to allow the quality of data to be improved, and to feed back
into the experiment to allow the scan parameters to be chosen
strategically. Using Labview and Research Systems we expect that a measurement campaign of days can be performed in hours.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Is there any research that interests you in Sydney? It is probably worth identifying a few professors whose research might interest you. Then contact them, briefly explain your qualifications, ask if they are looking for PhD students and suggest that it might be possible to come for an interview.

When you go to visit, make sure you talk to the students. Ask them how many conferences they've been to. Find out what sort of supervision they get. And ask them what they think their supervisor's biggest fault is.

There is quite a bit of interesting research at Sydney university, but the plasma physics group seems a bit weak compared to ANU's group.

I am a bit torn as to whether to do a PHD in engineering or physics. I am very interested in process control (especially nonlinear) and automation, combustion dynamics, reaction kinetics flame stabilisation, and power engineering. (mostly with the aeromech group or chemical engineering department)

I get the feeling that a PHD in physics will give me much more narrow options at the end of it (basically postdoc or esoteric commercial research in that specific field), whereas an engineering PHD might be a bit more versatile. Ideally my topic would allow me to involve some combination of transient/control theory, thermofluid dynamics and process or kinetic modelling.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to track down some students and see what they think. It's encouraging that two of my prospective supervisors have won the university medal.

1. What qualities should I look for in a potential supervisor?

When considering potential supervisors for your PhD, it is important to look for someone who has expertise in your field of study, a strong publication record, and a good reputation among their peers. You should also consider their communication skills, their availability and accessibility, and their mentoring style. It is also important to make sure that your potential supervisor has the resources and funding to support your research.

2. How do I find a suitable research topic for my PhD?

Finding a suitable research topic for your PhD can be challenging, but there are several ways to approach it. First, think about your interests and passions, and try to identify a specific research question within your field of study that you would like to explore. You can also look at the work of your potential supervisor and see if there are any gaps in their research that you could fill with your own project. Additionally, attending conferences and networking with other researchers can also help you generate ideas for your research topic.

3. What should I consider when choosing a research topic for my PhD?

When choosing a research topic for your PhD, it is important to consider factors such as its feasibility, relevance, and potential impact. You should also think about the resources and funding required for your research, as well as the availability of data and materials. It is also important to make sure that your research topic aligns with your career goals and interests.

4. What role does the supervisor play in the success of a PhD student?

The role of a supervisor is crucial in the success of a PhD student. A good supervisor provides guidance, support, and feedback throughout the research process, helping the student to stay on track and make progress towards their goals. They also provide valuable insights and expertise, and can help the student to navigate any challenges or obstacles that may arise during their research. A supportive and effective supervisor can greatly contribute to the success of a PhD student.

5. How do I know if a potential supervisor is a good fit for me?

To determine if a potential supervisor is a good fit for you, it is important to have open and honest communication with them. You can ask them about their mentoring style, expectations for their students, and how they handle any conflicts that may arise. It is also helpful to talk to current or former students of the potential supervisor to get a better understanding of their experience working with them. Additionally, meeting with the potential supervisor in person or through a video call can also help you get a sense of their personality and whether you feel comfortable working with them.