Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Protein structure, saccharides and fats

1. Jul 19, 2010 #1
    Just need to clear up any misunderstanding about protein structure. Do all proteins have at least three levels of structure? If a protein has a quaternary structure, does it mean it also has primary, secondary and tertiary structures?

I was wondering what separates a polysaccharide from a disaccharide? What number is the minimum amount of monosaccharides that make a polysaccharide.

My last question is in regards to saturated and unsaturated fats. If i have two saturated fatty acids and one unsaturated fatty acid to combine with glycerol to make a fat. Is the resulting fat unsaturated because it can still incorporate more hydrogen? Is it true that if there is a double bonded carbon in the fat, it is considered unsaturated?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2010 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Quaternary structure just means the way more than one polypeptide chain is associated together.

If you were talking in general, e.g. about a mixture of all lengths you could call them all polysaccharides if they are more than two or even more than one Usually polysaccharide suggests something quite large though. With just a moderate number, "a few" they tend to be called oligosaccharides. Wiki gives 3-10. Same thing for oligo/poly peptides. oligo/poly nucleotides.

And if it isn't it ought to!

Do not worry too much about the precise limits of these terms which are not quite rigid. Just read the biochemistry and see how they are used.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook