Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Protein synthesis in an animal cell takes place

1. Jul 7, 2015 #1
    protein synthesis in an animal cell takes place
    (a)in the cytoplasm as well as mitochondria
    (b)only on ribosome attached to nucleus
    (c)only in the cytoplasm
    (d)in the nucleolus as well as in the cytoplasm
    some sites suggest option (a)is correct
    and some site says option d is correct.
    Which is actually correct?I think option (a)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

While I don't know the answer, can you provide your reasoning as to why you think choice (a) is the correct one and why the others are not the correct answers?

4. Jul 7, 2015 #3
    Actually because the site according to which option (a)is correct is more reliable.

5. Jul 7, 2015 #4
  6. Jul 7, 2015 #5

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Honestly, I would say none of the answers are correct. If asked, most biologists would probably say that the majority of translation occurs in the cytoplasm or on the endoplasmic reticulum (ER). However, mitochondria do contain their own ribosomes to translate the ~13 genes in the mitochondrial genome that encode proteins, and some nuclear-encoded mitochondrial proteins are translated on the surface of mitochondria as well. So, translation does occur at the mitochondria, though the majority of proteins are translated either in the cytoplasm or on the ER.

7. Jul 7, 2015 #6
    And what about nucleolus?

8. Jul 7, 2015 #7

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

No protein synthesis occurs in the nucleolus. The nucleolus is important for translation, however, because it is involved the production of ribosomal RNAs and the assembly of ribosomes.

9. Jul 7, 2015 #8
    Thanks sir @Ygggddrasil.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook