Special Relativity -- Kinetic Energy

In summary: So in this case, the electron and positron each have a fraction of the proton's mass, so the total energy is not zero.
Barry Melby

Homework Statement

An electron e− and positron e+ moving at the same speed in the Earth reference frame collide head-on and produce a proton p and an antiproton p¯. The electron and positron have the same mass. The proton and antiproton also have the same mass. The mass of the proton is 1836.15 times the mass of the electron.

Calculate, in the Earth reference frame, the minimum value possible for the ratio of the electron's kinetic energy to its internal energy in order to have the reaction e− + e+ →p + p¯ take place.

Want: K/E_internal = ?

Homework Equations

K = (y-1)mc^2 --- y = lorentz factor
E_internal = mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even remotely sure what this question is asking. Can someone offer me some guidance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Barry Melby said:

Homework Statement

An electron e− and positron e+ moving at the same speed in the Earth reference frame collide head-on and produce a proton p and an antiproton p¯. The electron and positron have the same mass. The proton and antiproton also have the same mass. The mass of the proton is 1836.15 times the mass of the electron.

Calculate, in the Earth reference frame, the minimum value possible for the ratio of the electron's kinetic energy to its internal energy in order to have the reaction e− + e+ →p + p¯ take place.

Want: K/E_internal = ?

Homework Equations

K = (y-1)mc^2 --- y = lorentz factor
E_internal = mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even remotely sure what this question is asking. Can someone offer me some guidance?
You have the correct equations, so you need to figure out the ratio which is simply ##\gamma-1##.
To find that, the key point is that you want the minimum energies for the e+ and e- to have the reaction take place. This is a special case. What can you say about the proton and antiproton produced then?

nrqed said:
You have the correct equations, so you need to figure out the ratio which is simply ##\gamma-1##.
To find that, the key point is that you want the minimum energies for the e+ and e- to have the reaction take place. This is a special case. What can you say about the proton and antiproton produced then?
Well i know that the mass of the proton and the antiproton are 1836.15 times the mass of the electron and positron. Would ##\gamma## = 1/(1-1836.15^2)?

Barry Melby said:
Well i know that the mass of the proton and the antiproton are 1836.15 times the mass of the electron and positron. Would ##\gamma## = 1/(1-1836.15^2)?
No no, never mind. That wouldn't make sense.

Where do i go?

Barry Melby said:
No no, never mind. That wouldn't make sense.

Where do i go?
As I mentioned earlier, the key point is that you want the *minimum* energy for the e+ and e- to have the reaction take place. This is a special case. What can you say about the proton and antiproton produced then?

I don't really understand what you're saying.

Do i have to do something with momentum?

Barry Melby said:
I don't really understand what you're saying.

Do i have to do something with momentum?
In a general problem, you would have to apply conservation of momentum. Here, you are luckier because that won't be necessary. What is the speed of the proton and antiproton produced, in your question?

it doesn't appear that the proton or antiproton are moving at all.

Barry Melby said:
it doesn't appear that the proton or antiproton are moving at all.
Exactly! Now, what is the total energy of the system after the reaction?

nrqed said:
Exactly! Now, what is the total energy of the system after the reaction?

The total energy would be zero i would suspect because they have no velocity. How does this relate to ##\gamma##?

Barry Melby said:
The total energy would be zero i would suspect because they have no velocity. How does this relate to ##\gamma##?
Not quite. The total energy is not just kinetic energy, in relativity. It includes rest mass energy. So what is the total energy, taking this into account? (Once you find that, you can write an expression for the total energy before. Using conservation of total energy, you will get an equation for gamma that you can then solve for.

Barry Melby said:
##E = M c^2 = 0## only if ##M = 0##.

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how objects behave at high speeds or in the presence of strong gravitational fields. It is based on two main principles: the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of constant speed of light, which states that the speed of light in a vacuum is always the same, regardless of the motion of the source or observer.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as one half of the mass of the object multiplied by the square of its velocity. In other words, the faster an object is moving, the more kinetic energy it has.

How does special relativity affect kinetic energy?

Special relativity predicts that as an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, its kinetic energy will increase infinitely. This is because according to special relativity, the energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its velocity.

Can kinetic energy be converted into mass?

According to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into each other. This means that kinetic energy can be converted into mass, and vice versa, as long as the total amount of energy and mass in a system remains constant.

How does special relativity affect the concept of mass?

Special relativity predicts that an object's mass will increase as its velocity approaches the speed of light. This is known as relativistic mass and is a result of the energy-mass equivalence. It also shows that at the speed of light, an object's mass would become infinite, making it impossible to reach this speed for any massive object.