1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proton NMR - Spin-Spin Splitting and Multiplicity

1. Jul 7, 2007 #1
    1. What will be the multiplicity due to spin-spin splitting of the highlighted protons in the molecule: (C6H5)-CH2-CH2-CH2-OH?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the ones surrounding the highlighted CH2 group are not equivalent. If they were, the multiplicity would be 5. When I make a branching diagram, I get 6 to a multiplet. In the text book, there was an example of a similar case where you could "assume" that they were equal, even though they were not. How do I know if I can "assume" in this case? My answer choices are a) doublet b) triplet c) quartet d) quintet e) hextet. I'm stuck between d) a quintet, if I assume that they are equal and e) the minimum, probably, but couldn't a multiplet of more than 6 form also? Any help? Thank you.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The assumption you are asked to make... is this first order coupling? Generally first order coupling is assumed for [tex]\Delta v\ /J > 20[/tex], where [tex]\Delta v\ [/tex] is the frequency difference from the centroid of the multiplets. Sometimes first order coupling is apparent where [tex]\Delta v\ /J =10[/tex]. The spin-spin coupling constants for methylene-methylene are usually about 5-7 Hz.

Remember that J coupling is independent of magnetic field strength whereas the absorption frequency is a function of field strength.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  4. Jul 9, 2007 #3
    Thank you for your help. The problem never said that I could assume it was first-order coupling, but my professor also cleared up the situation. Thanks again.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?