NMR Diastereotopic Proton Splitting

In summary, the conversation discusses whether diastererotopic protons can have different numbers of split peaks in their overall signal, specifically in a CH2R group where one proton splits as a doublet and the other as a triplet. There is a debate between whether their bonding relationship to other nuclei or their spatial location affects this splitting. Ultimately, it is determined that the number of split peaks does not change due to the non-equivalency of the protons.
echandler
This is one of those questions that probably has a very simple answer, but I can't find it anywhere, and as much as I think about it, the more confused I get.

Can diastererotopic protons have different number of split peaks in their overall signal like on a CH2R group, for example, one proton splits as a doublet and the other splits as a triplet?

My mind keeps bouncing back and forth between "No because their bonding relationship to other nuclei is the same" and "Yes, because their spatial location is different, and then through space coupling may have an effect," which is usually followed by "that would result in a furthing splitting of the first multiplet, not change the number of the multiplet." I think I'm too deep in it to think clearly.

Thanks in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
To get a triplet, you need two neighbouring equivalent protons. The equivalency of the protons does not depend on the non-equivalency of the two diastereotopic protons you are considering.

What is NMR Diastereotopic Proton Splitting?

NMR Diastereotopic Proton Splitting is a phenomenon that occurs in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, where chemically equivalent protons in a molecule are split into two or more peaks due to the presence of diastereotopic groups.

Why does NMR Diastereotopic Proton Splitting occur?

NMR Diastereotopic Proton Splitting occurs because in a molecule with chiral centers, the protons attached to the chiral center are not equivalent. This leads to different magnetic environments for each proton, resulting in different chemical shifts and therefore, multiple peaks in the NMR spectrum.

How is NMR Diastereotopic Proton Splitting useful in structure determination?

NMR Diastereotopic Proton Splitting is useful in structure determination as it provides information about the stereochemistry of a molecule. By analyzing the splitting patterns and chemical shifts of the diastereotopic protons, the relative positions of the chiral centers in a molecule can be determined.

What factors can influence the degree of splitting in NMR Diastereotopic Proton Splitting?

The degree of splitting in NMR Diastereotopic Proton Splitting can be influenced by several factors, including the distance between the diastereotopic protons, the strength of the magnetic field, and the temperature of the sample.

Are there any limitations to the use of NMR Diastereotopic Proton Splitting in structure determination?

Yes, there are some limitations to the use of NMR Diastereotopic Proton Splitting in structure determination. The splitting patterns can be complex and difficult to interpret in molecules with multiple chiral centers. Additionally, the presence of other functional groups or solvents in the sample can also affect the splitting patterns and make it challenging to analyze.