Proton through a Particle Accelerator

In summary: The mass of a proton is about 1 GeV/c2In summary, the mass of a proton is approximately 1 GeV/c2 and it increases as it is accelerated to near the speed of light in a particle accelerator. However, this concept of "relativistic mass" is no longer widely used and the more commonly accepted term is rest mass or invariant mass. These answers can easily be found on Wikipedia and it is encouraged to research questions before asking for help.
Brannen
This is 2 questions in 1 go. So my first question is how much does a Proton weigh? My second question is, what is the mass of the Proton in a particle accelerator going nearly the speed of light. I know that as you speed something up its mass increases. Also could you show me how you came to this conclusion?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can easily find answers to these questions on Wikipedia

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton

In general, you should always try to research your question before asking it here. We try to help students with homework problems provided they post in the correct homework forum and use the homework template and we discourage questions that you can easily find on the web.

Brannen said:
I know that as you speed something up its mass increases.

This is not really true. We usually use mass to refer to something called rest mass, or invariant mass. This is the type of mass that all observers will agree on and the one that Einstein's equation E=MC2 uses. Relativistic mass (which is what you're referring to) has fallen out of use.

1. What is a particle accelerator?

A particle accelerator is a scientific instrument that uses electromagnetic fields to propel charged particles to high speeds and energies. It is used to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and to create new particles by colliding them at high energies.

2. How does a particle accelerator work?

A particle accelerator works by using electric fields to accelerate charged particles, such as protons, and then using magnetic fields to steer them along a predetermined path. The particles are then collided or directed towards a target for further study.

3. What is the purpose of accelerating a proton through a particle accelerator?

The purpose of accelerating a proton through a particle accelerator is to study the behavior and properties of subatomic particles at high energies. This can help scientists understand the fundamental forces and building blocks of the universe.

4. What are the potential applications of a particle accelerator?

Particle accelerators have a wide range of potential applications, including medical research and treatment, material science, and energy production. They are also used in fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and cosmology.

5. Are there any risks associated with particle accelerators?

Particle accelerators are generally safe to operate, as stringent safety measures are in place to protect both the researchers and the environment. However, there are some potential risks, such as radiation exposure and damage to equipment, which are carefully monitored and managed by trained professionals.