Removing a proton with a particle accelerator

In summary, if a particle accelerator were to remove a proton from an element, the element would undergo a physical change that could be observed.
jgav9876
What would it look like if I used a particle accelerator to remove a proton from a particular element? What would the physical change in the element look like if observed? Would the element appear to "magically" change into something else right before your very eyes, as if by some kind of spooky magic? (For example, if element 19 were gold colored and element 18 were silver colored, would the instantaneous shift in color be visibly apparent upon direct observation of element 19 having a proton removed by a particle accelerator?)

Physics news on Phys.org
jgav9876 said:
What would it look like if I used a particle accelerator to remove a proton from a particular element? What would the physical change in the element look like if observed? Would the element appear to "magically" change into something else right before your very eyes, as if by some kind of spooky magic? (For example, if element 19 were gold colored and element 18 were silver colored, would the instantaneous shift in color be visibly apparent upon direct observation of element 19 having a proton removed by a particle accelerator?)
You realize that individual atoms are too small to see? I suppose that you are planning to trigger an inverse beta decay where Potassium-39 is transmuted to Argon-39 as a result of bombardment with an electron anti-neutrino.

My impression was that this reaction is normally used for neutrino detection, not for the creation of argon in particle accelerators.

Edit: A little more Googling reveals that the detector reaction is actually the other way around with an electron neutrino striking a liquid argon detector resulting in the creation of potassium.

Likes topsquark
It's been a while since I had chemistry. I forgot to mention that all of the atoms would have a proton removed, if such a thing were possible. If all of the protons were removed from all of the atoms simultaneously, would I observe a sudden shift in the physical appearance of the matter I'm observing as I described in my original post?

jgav9876 said:
It's been a while since I had chemistry. I forgot to mention that all of the atoms would have a proton removed, if such a thing were possible. If all of the protons were removed from all of the atoms simultaneously, would I observe a sudden shift in the physical appearance of the matter I'm observing as I described in my original post?
This is getting pretty unrealistic. If you are going to bombard a sample with enough anti-neutrinos to transmute a significant fleck of potassium, I would expect a radioactive mushroom cloud that hides the argon from view pretty effectively.

But I am not a nuclear physicist.

Likes topsquark
I wasn't saying it's practical - I should have clarified in my original post that I'm only asking this as a hypothetical situation in order to gain a better understanding of how matter works in general. So the fleck wouldn't stay a fleck? Hmm, interesting, okay. Thanks for your reply!

jgav9876 said:
I wasn't saying it's practical - I should have clarified in my original post that I'm only asking this as a hypothetical situation in order to gain a better understanding of how matter works in general. So the fleck wouldn't stay a fleck? Hmm, interesting, okay. Thanks for your reply!
Well, looking at the atomic mass for Potassium 39 compared to Argon 39, you are talking about an endothermic reaction requiring 0.0006 AMU per interaction. So if you have 39 grams (one mole) of Potassium 39, you'll need 0.0006 grams of mass equivalent as input energy.

You can Google it up. The potassium-39 is at 38.9637 AMU while argon-39 is 38.9643 AMU.

Let's use ##E=mc^2## to convert that to Joules -- ##6 \times 10^{-7} \text{kg} \times c^2## = 540 gigajoules. Only about 1/3 of a Hiroshima in input energy.

In fairness, 39 grams is rather more than "a fleck".

Edit: My energy budget may be off by a factor of two. The emitted positron counts for at least 0.00055 AMU. You are going to have a pretty good flux of 1.28 MeV gammas coming off as the positrons annihilate with electrons in the negative argon ions. So you may get that mushroom cloud after all.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
Wow. So the yield would be 39 grams of argon and an atomic explosion? Fascinating. Thank you.

jgav9876 said:
Wow. So the yield would be 39 grams of argon and an atomic explosion? Fascinating. Thank you.
Endothermic. So you have to provide an explosion's worth of energy.

Likes topsquark
Right! Yes, thank you. Sorry about that. The fascinating part to me is that the 39 grams of potassium would change into 39 grams of argon right before your very eyes.

Likes jbriggs444
jgav9876 said:
Here's a related question: if you magically turn an apple into an orange, does it look like an orange, or does it still look like an apple?

Likes jbriggs444 and topsquark
PeroK said:
Here's a related question: if you magically turn an apple into an orange, does it look like an orange, or does it still look like an apple?
This is exactly the scenario I was imagining.

1. How does a particle accelerator remove a proton?

A particle accelerator uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate charged particles, such as protons, to very high speeds. As the proton travels through the accelerator, it passes through a series of electric and magnetic fields that push and pull on it, eventually causing it to reach the desired energy level and be removed from the accelerator.

2. What is the purpose of removing a proton with a particle accelerator?

Removing a proton with a particle accelerator allows scientists to study the properties and behavior of individual particles. This can provide valuable insights into the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.

3. How is the energy of the proton controlled during the removal process?

The energy of the proton is controlled by adjusting the strength and orientation of the electric and magnetic fields in the accelerator. By carefully controlling these parameters, scientists can ensure that the proton reaches the desired energy level for their experiments.

4. What happens to the removed proton after it exits the accelerator?

After exiting the accelerator, the removed proton may be directed towards a target or detector for further study. It may also be used to initiate a nuclear reaction or collide with other particles to produce new particles or energy.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with removing a proton with a particle accelerator?

Particle accelerators are designed and operated with strict safety protocols in place to minimize any potential risks. However, there is always a small possibility of accidents or malfunctions that could result in radiation exposure. Extensive safety measures are taken to prevent and mitigate these risks.