Prove √(a^2+b^2)≤ √[(x−a)^2+(y−b)^2]+√(x^2+y^2)

• MHB
  • Thread starter solakis1
  • Start date
In summary, the equation √(a^2+b^2)≤ √[(x−a)^2+(y−b)^2]+√(x^2+y^2) represents the Pythagorean Theorem and is used to calculate the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle. It can be proven using inequalities and visualized by drawing a triangle. This equation has various applications in scientific research and real-life situations, such as in physics, engineering, and navigation. There are no exceptions to the equation, as it is a fundamental principle in mathematics.
solakis1
prove:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{a^2+b^2}\leq\sqrt{(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2}+\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
solakis said:
prove:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{a^2+b^2}\leq\sqrt{(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2}+\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\)

This comes from law of triangle sides

distance from origin to (a,b) < distance from (x,y) to (a,b) + distance from origin to (x,y) and equal if (x,y) is between (0,0) and (a,b) and in the line between the 2

kaliprasad said:
This comes from law of triangle sides

distance from origin to (a,b) < distance from (x,y) to (a,b) + distance from origin to (x,y) and equal if (x,y) is between (0,0) and (a,b) and in the line between the 2

Can you draw a picture ??

I was meaning an algebraic solution in my OP

solakis said:
Can you draw a picture ??

I was meaning an algebraic solution in my OP

we have $\sqrt{(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2} + \sqrt{x^2+y^2} = |(x-a) + i(y-b)| + | x + iy| = | (a-x) + (b-y) i | + | x + iy|$
$\ge |(a - x + x) + i(b-y+y)| = | a + ib| = \sqrt{a^2+b^2}$

Last edited:

What is the meaning of the equation √(a^2+b^2)≤ √[(x−a)^2+(y−b)^2]+√(x^2+y^2)?

The equation is a representation of the Pythagorean Theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

Can you prove the equation √(a^2+b^2)≤ √[(x−a)^2+(y−b)^2]+√(x^2+y^2)?

Yes, the proof involves using the properties of inequalities and the Pythagorean Theorem. We can also visualize the concept by drawing a right triangle and manipulating the sides to show that the equation is true.

How is the equation √(a^2+b^2)≤ √[(x−a)^2+(y−b)^2]+√(x^2+y^2) useful in scientific research?

The equation is useful in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, where calculations involving distances and lengths are common. It allows us to determine the maximum distance between two points on a Cartesian plane and is also applicable in solving optimization problems.

Are there any exceptions to the equation √(a^2+b^2)≤ √[(x−a)^2+(y−b)^2]+√(x^2+y^2)?

No, the equation holds true for all values of a, b, x, and y. This is because the Pythagorean Theorem is a fundamental principle in mathematics and cannot be violated.

How can we apply the equation √(a^2+b^2)≤ √[(x−a)^2+(y−b)^2]+√(x^2+y^2) in real-life situations?

The equation has many practical applications, such as determining the shortest distance between two points on a map or calculating the length of a diagonal in a rectangular room. It is also used in various fields of engineering, such as in construction and navigation.