1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove a vector is perpendicular to a plane?

1. Jan 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Vectors A, B and C are vectors from the origin to the points a, b, c respectively, and the Vector D is defined as

D= (AxB)+(BxC)+(CxA)

Show that D is Perpendicular to the plane in which the points A, B, and C lie

2. Relevant equations
    Cross Product

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried writing everything out doing the Det of each Cross product to find anything to cancel with out any luck.

I also understand that if a b and c are points lying on a plane, then crossing each of these vectors AxB, BxC, and CxA should give me a vector perpendicular to that plane...how do I show this mathmatically?

Thanks for the help =)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Couple of things I suppose. The dot product of perpendicular vectors is zero. so D dotted into the vector from A to B or B to C or C to A etc. should all be zero. Do you know the vector equation of a plane?
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  4. Jan 16, 2008 #3

n . (r->p) = 0

if n is the normal vector ( D in this case I think )
    r and p are the points in the plane ( A->B, B->C, C->A)

I'm still not understanding how it relates =(
  5. Jan 17, 2008 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Hi dangsy, a shortcut (if it's allowed by your teacher)!

Three points always lie in a plane -- that we know. Chose the point 'a' as the origin.

Then A = 0, which gives,

D = BXC, which we know is perp to the plane.
  6. Jan 17, 2008 #5
    Let [tex]\overrightarrow{n}[/tex]= Normal vector of the plane where points a, b and c lie on.

\overrightarrow{n} &= \overrightarrow{ab}\ x\ \overrightarrow{bc}
    &= (\overrightarrow{B} - \overrightarrow{A})\ x\ (\overrightarrow{C} - \overrightarrow{B})
    &= [(\overrightarrow{B} - \overrightarrow{A})\ x\ \overrightarrow{C}] - [(\overrightarrow{B} - \overrightarrow{A})\ x\ \vec{B}]
    &= [(\overrightarrow{B} \ x\ \overrightarrow{C})\ - (\overrightarrow{A} \ x\ \overrightarrow{C})] \ -\ [(\overrightarrow{B} \ x\ \overrightarrow{B})\ - (\overrightarrow{A} \ x\ \overrightarrow{B})]
    &= [(\overrightarrow{B} \ x\ \overrightarrow{C})\ + (\overrightarrow{C} \ x\ \overrightarrow{A})] \ +\ (\overrightarrow{A} \ x\ \overrightarrow{B})]
    &=(\overrightarrow{A} \ x\ \overrightarrow{B})\ + (\overrightarrow{B} \ x\ \overrightarrow{C}) \ +\ (\overrightarrow{C} \ x\ \overrightarrow{A})

\ Note\ that: -(\overrightarrow{A} \ x\ \overrightarrow{C}) = \overrightarrow{C} \ x\ \overrightarrow{A}\ and \ \overrightarrow{B} \ x\ \overrightarrow{B} = \overrightarrow{0}
    &\overrightarrow{n} = \overrightarrow{D}
    &\ which\ means\ \overrightarrow{n} \ is \ parallel \ with\ \overrightarrow{D}
    &\overrightarrow{n}\ is \ perpendicular \ to \ the \ plane.\ Therefore,\ \overrightarrow{D} \ is\ also \ perpendicular\ to \ the \ plane.

This Latex is extremely difficult to use.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?