Calculating Vectors and Components: Finding A*B and AxB Components

In summary, it is unclear what you are trying to do. You need to show all your work and what you are trying to do.
hiineko

Homework Statement

Vector A lies in the yz plane 65.0° from the positive direction of the y axis, has a positive z component, and has magnitude 5.10 m. Vector B lies in the xz plane 42.0° from the positive direction of the x axis, has a positive z component, and has magnitude 1.70 m. Find (a) A*B, (b) the x-component of AxB, (c) the y-component of AxB, (d) thez-component of AxB, and (e) the angle between A and B[/B]The attempt at a solution

I tried using typical procedure of getting the dot and the cross product the problem is I don't know what to put in Vector A I tried 5.10cos65 but it was wrong so any help will be great thankyou!

Physics news on Phys.org
hiineko said:
the problem is I don't know what to put in Vector A I tried 5.10cos65
It is unclear what you mean by "what to put in Vector A". It is a vector and cannot be described with a single number. Please show all your work and what you are trying to do.

Orodruin said:
It is unclear what you mean by "what to put in Vector A". It is a vector and cannot be described with a single number. Please show all your work and what you are trying to do.

Okay sorry. What I mean is I don't know how to get Vector A and Vector B. Is there something I need to do for to know this or what?
I only kmow how to dot product and cross product if it is an ijk (just get the magnitude and etc) the problem in this question is the given is an given angle and a magnitude so I tried getting 5.1cos65 to get the x component which is I assume the same as i hat?
I don't know if my logic is right so any help will be appreciate thankyou!

Α=( 0 , 5.10cos65 , 5.10sin65 )
B=( 1.70cos42 , 0 , 1.70sin42)
Now they are in ijk ( as you say) so you can dot or cross them, dude!

Orodruin said:
Ali.B. said:
Α=( 0 , 5.10cos65 , 5.10sin65 )
B=( 1.70cos42 , 0 , 1.70sin42)
Now they are in ijk ( as you say) so you can dot or cross them, dude!

There's a 0 because it is stated in the first given that it is only on the yz plane?
So I just get the magnitude of it then continue with the dot and cross product?

EDIT: THANKYOU I GOT THE CORRECT ANSWER.
My only mistake is I didn't include zeros in my solution thankyou thankyou

Last edited:
Youre welcome, hiineko!
Are u a physics student?

Ali.B. said:
Youre welcome, hiineko!
Are u a physics student?

Yes I am. Under my mechanical engineering curriculum.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction.

2. What are the components of a vector?

The components of a vector are the perpendicular parts of the vector in the x and y direction. These components are used to describe the vector's magnitude and direction.

3. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components.

4. What are component vectors?

Component vectors are the individual vectors that make up a larger vector. They are used to describe the vector in terms of its x and y components.

5. How do you find the direction of a vector using its components?

The direction of a vector can be found using trigonometric functions such as tangent, where the angle of the vector is equal to the inverse tangent of the ratio of the y component to the x component.