Prove combination of two sets contains an open ball

In summary, the conversation was about a problem given by a professor in class, involving a measurable subset of R^n with positive measure. The problem asked to prove that the set E+E, where E is the subset, contains an open ball. The conversation mentioned an example from a textbook and a similar problem from a different source. The hint given was to prove the continuity of the convolution of the indicator function for E with itself. The conversation also discussed the possibility of using a fat Cantor set or other techniques to solve the problem.
aegis90
So this was an exam question that our professor handed out ( In class. I didn't get the question right)

Let E be a subset of R^n, n>= 2. Suppose that E measurable and m(E)>0. Prove that:

E+E = {x+y: x in E, y in E } contains an open ball.

(The text Zygmund that we used showed an example that E-E defined in similar sense contains an open interval centered at the origin, where E is a subset of R. Stein had another problem that asked to show that E+E contains an open interval.

I'm assuming that's where he got the problem, but I'm not sure that the same method works, since he gave a hint to prove that the convolution: chi(e)*chi(e) is continuous at the origin. )

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say that measurability guarantees an open ball ##B## in ##E##. Now try to construct an open ball in ##B+B##.

@fresh_42 That is not the case. The irrationals are subset of a full measure in, say, ##[0,1]##, but do not contain any interval.

Following the hint: consider the convolution ##f=\chi_E*\chi_E##, where ##\chi_E## is the indicator function for ##E##. By the definition of convolution, ##f(x)=m(E\cap (x-E))##. From this formula, we have that ##f## is supported on ##E+E##. Since ##f## is continuous and not identically zero (as it integrates to ##m(E)^2##), this means that there is an open set in ##E+E## on which ##f## is positive.

Likes fresh_42
Or try a fat Cantor set, i.e., remove less than 1/3 at each stage. Of course, if E itself contains an interval, we are done. EDIT: This reminds me of convolutions, exhustions by open and compact sets, maybe additive Lie groups and neighborhoods of unity.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean to prove that a combination of two sets contains an open ball?

To prove that a combination of two sets contains an open ball means to show that there exists a point within the two sets that is included in the open ball. In other words, the open ball is completely contained within the two sets.

2. How do you prove that a combination of two sets contains an open ball?

To prove that a combination of two sets contains an open ball, you need to show that for any point within the open ball, there exists a point within the two sets that is also within the open ball. This can be done by using the definition of an open ball and the properties of the two sets.

3. Why is it important to prove that a combination of two sets contains an open ball?

Proving that a combination of two sets contains an open ball is important because it shows that the two sets are not only connected but also have overlapping regions. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in topology, analysis, and geometry.

4. What are the two sets that are usually combined to prove the existence of an open ball?

The two sets that are usually combined to prove the existence of an open ball are a set of points in a metric space and an open ball centered at a point in the same metric space. The open ball serves as a bridge between the two sets and helps to establish their connection.

5. Are there any assumptions or conditions needed to prove that a combination of two sets contains an open ball?

Yes, there are a few assumptions or conditions that are needed to prove that a combination of two sets contains an open ball. Firstly, the two sets must be subsets of the same metric space. Additionally, the open ball must be centered at a point within one of the two sets. Finally, the open ball must have a nonzero radius.