Munkres-Analysis on Manifolds: Extended Integrals

In summary, Munkres introduces improper/extended integrals over open set by saying that if f is continuous and f is integrable over an open set A, then the extended integral (supremum of all the numbers "integral of f over D" , as D ranges over all compact rectifiable (boundary of D has measure 0) subsets of A) exists. He uses the change of variables theorem to calculate the integral of a continuous non-negative function f over an open circle of radius a. However, because g(U)=V={(x,y) in W| x<0 if y=0} is a subset of W different from W, he claims that the integral of f
  • #1
10
2
I am studying Analysis on Manifolds by Munkres. He introduces improper/extended integrals over open set the following way: Let A be an open set in R^n; let f : A -> R be a continuous function. If f is non-negative on A, we define the (extended) integral of f over A, as the supremum of all the numbers "integral of f over D" , as D ranges over all compact rectifiable (boundary of D has measure 0) subsets of A, provided this supremum exists. In this case, we say that f is integrable over A (in the extended sense).

In section 17 example 4 he uses the change of variables theorem for extended integrals over open sets to calculate the integral of a continuous non-negative function f over an open circle of radius a (lets call it W). To do so, he uses polar coordinates and integrates the "polar coordinate" function g over U=(0,a)x(0,2π).

But g(U)=V={(x,y) in W| x<0 if y=0} which is a subset of W, different from W. So "the integral of f over V" exists. Finally because W-V has measure 0, he claims that "the integral of f over W" also exists and "the integral of f over W"="the integral of f over V" (these are extended integrals over open set).

I don't understand how I can prove the claim: If f is continuous and if W is open and it is the union of the open set V and a set E with measure 0 and the extended " integral of f over V" exists, then "the integral of f over W" exists and they are equal (especially since the function f may not be bounded over W).

Thank you in advance for any help!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
Bill2500 said:
I don't understand how I can prove the claim: If f is continuous and if W is open and it is the union of the open set V and a set E with measure 0 and the extended " integral of f over V" exists, then "the integral of f over W" exists and they are equal (especially since the function f may not be bounded over W).
The integral of any function over a set of measure zero is zero, see proof here. Hence the integral over any rectifiable subset of a set of measure zero must also be zero.

Since integrals on disjoint sets are additive, the complements and intersections of finite numbers of rectifiable sets are rectifiable, ##W=V\cup E##, V and E are disjoint, and V and E are both rectifiable, we can write an integral over any rectifiable subset of W as the integral over ##W\cap V## plus the integral over ##W\cap E##. The latter is always zero. So the supremum of integrals of rectifiable subsets of W cannot be greater than the supremum of integrals of rectifiable subsets of V.

Since any rectifiable subset of V is also a rectifiable subset of W, the opposite inequality also applies. So the two suprema are equal.

PS Are you sure that posting that link to an online copy of a textbook doesn't breach copyright rules? Unless you are very sure, I suggest removing the link, or requesting a moderator to do it if the post is no longer editable. It is OK to post images of a page or two, but generally posting a whole book will violate copyright.
 
  • Like
Likes Bill2500
  • #3
andrewkirk said:
The integral of any function over a set of measure zero is zero, see proof here. Hence the integral over any rectifiable subset of a set of measure zero must also be zero.

Since integrals on disjoint sets are additive, the complements and intersections of finite numbers of rectifiable sets are rectifiable, ##W=V\cup E##, V and E are disjoint, and V and E are both rectifiable, we can write an integral over any rectifiable subset of W as the integral over ##W\cap V## plus the integral over ##W\cap E##. The latter is always zero. So the supremum of integrals of rectifiable subsets of W cannot be greater than the supremum of integrals of rectifiable subsets of V.

Since any rectifiable subset of V is also a rectifiable subset of W, the opposite inequality also applies. So the two suprema are equal.

PS Are you sure that posting that link to an online copy of a textbook doesn't breach copyright rules? Unless you are very sure, I suggest removing the link, or requesting a moderator to do it if the post is no longer editable. It is OK to post images of a page or two, but generally posting a whole book will violate copyright.
I don't know how I can upload a picture so I found a link of the book and included it.
 
  • #4
Yes, it's not obvious, and I often forget how to do it. Fortunately, I had to do one just the other day, so I remember for now.

Two buttons to the right of the 'Post Reply' button is a button marked Upload. Click on that and it allows you to upload an image from your computer. It will then appear in the post. If you choose Thumbnail it will look small, but expand to full size when clicked. Otherwise it will always be fully expanded in your post. I feel the former is easier to read when referencing a text.
 
  • #5
Bill2500 said:
I am studying Analysis on Manifolds by Munkres. He introduces improper/extended integrals over open set the following way: Let A be an open set in R^n; let f : A -> R be a continuous function. If f is non-negative on A, we define the (extended) integral of f over A, as the supremum of all the numbers "integral of f over D" , as D ranges over all compact rectifiable (boundary of D has measure 0) subsets of A, provided this supremum exists. In this case, we say that f is integrable over A (in the extended sense).

In section 17 example 4 he uses the change of variables theorem for extended integrals over open sets to calculate the integral of a continuous non-negative function f over an open circle of radius a (lets call it W). To do so, he uses polar coordinates and integrates the "polar coordinate" function g over U=(0,a)x(0,2π).

But g(U)=V={(x,y) in W| x<0 if y=0} which is a subset of W, different from W. So "the integral of f over V" exists. Finally because W-V has measure 0, he claims that "the integral of f over W" also exists and "the integral of f over W"="the integral of f over V" (these are extended integrals over open set).

I don't understand how I can prove the claim: If f is continuous and if W is open and it is the union of the open set V and a set E with measure 0 and the extended " integral of f over V" exists, then "the integral of f over W" exists and they are equal (especially since the function f may not be bounded over W).

Thank you in advance for any help!
extended.jpg
extended.jpg
 

Attachments

  • extended.jpg
    extended.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 524
  • #6
Bill2500 said:
I am studying Analysis on Manifolds by Munkres. He introduces improper/extended integrals over open set the following way: Let A be an open set in R^n; let f : A -> R be a continuous function. If f is non-negative on A, we define the (extended) integral of f over A, as the supremum of all the numbers "integral of f over D" , as D ranges over all compact rectifiable (boundary of D has measure 0) subsets of A, provided this supremum exists. In this case, we say that f is integrable over A (in the extended sense).

In section 17 example 4 he uses the change of variables theorem for extended integrals over open sets to calculate the integral of a continuous non-negative function f over an open circle of radius a (lets call it W). To do so, he uses polar coordinates and integrates the "polar coordinate" function g over U=(0,a)x(0,2π).

But g(U)=V={(x,y) in W| x<0 if y=0} which is a subset of W, different from W. So "the integral of f over V" exists. Finally because W-V has measure 0, he claims that "the integral of f over W" also exists and "the integral of f over W"="the integral of f over V" (these are extended integrals over open set).

I don't understand how I can prove the claim: If f is continuous and if W is open and it is the union of the open set V and a set E with measure 0 and the extended " integral of f over V" exists, then "the integral of f over W" exists and they are equal (especially since the function f may not be bounded over W).

Thank you in advance for any help!
andrewkirk said:
Yes, it's not obvious, and I often forget how to do it. Fortunately, I had to do one just the other day, so I remember for now.

Two buttons to the right of the 'Post Reply' button is a button marked Upload. Click on that and it allows you to upload an image from your computer. It will then appear in the post. If you choose Thumbnail it will look small, but expand to full size when clicked. Otherwise it will always be fully expanded in your post. I feel the former is easier to read when referencing a text.
It does not add it to my post. Why?
 

1. What is "Munkres-Analysis on Manifolds: Extended Integrals" about?

"Munkres-Analysis on Manifolds: Extended Integrals" is a mathematical textbook that focuses on the theory and applications of extended integrals on manifolds. It covers topics such as integration on manifolds, differential forms, and Stokes' theorem.

2. Who is the author of "Munkres-Analysis on Manifolds: Extended Integrals"?

The author of "Munkres-Analysis on Manifolds: Extended Integrals" is James R. Munkres, a renowned mathematician and professor emeritus at MIT. He has also authored other widely used textbooks in the field of mathematics.

3. Is "Munkres-Analysis on Manifolds: Extended Integrals" suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Munkres-Analysis on Manifolds: Extended Integrals" is suitable for self-study. It is written in a clear and concise manner, with many examples and exercises to help readers understand the material.

4. What level of mathematics is required to understand "Munkres-Analysis on Manifolds: Extended Integrals"?

"Munkres-Analysis on Manifolds: Extended Integrals" is intended for advanced undergraduate or graduate students in mathematics. A strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and basic analysis is necessary to fully grasp the concepts presented in the textbook.

5. Are there any online resources available for "Munkres-Analysis on Manifolds: Extended Integrals"?

Yes, there are various online resources available for "Munkres-Analysis on Manifolds: Extended Integrals" such as lecture notes, problem sets, and solutions. These can be found on the author's website or through a simple internet search.

Suggested for: Munkres-Analysis on Manifolds: Extended Integrals

Replies
2
Views
1K
Replies
4
Views
1K
Replies
38
Views
3K
Replies
2
Views
972
Replies
1
Views
2K
Replies
2
Views
801
Back
Top