Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Prove every Hausdorff topology on a finite set is discret.

1. Sep 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that every Hausdorff topology on a finite set is discrete.
    I'm trying to understand a proof of this, but it's throwing me off--here's why:

2. Relevant equations
    To be Hausdorff means for any two distinct points, there exists disjoint neighborhoods for those points.
    Also, any finite subset of a Hausdorff space is closed.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let a set X have n elements (I'll write it more formal later), but I'll denote them a 1,...,i,...,j,...n.
    For each singleton element, we can write write it as:
    {i} = [itex]\bigcap[/itex](X\{j}) s.t. j≠i.
    And the set {i} is open because it's the intersection of open sets (X\{j}).

However, isn't that opposite of Hausdorff because both sets are finite subsets.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

{i} is closed, since it's a finite subset of a Hausdorff space. Now you've proved {i} is also open. So it's clopen. Doesn't that make it a discrete space?

4. Sep 17, 2012 #3
    Ah ok!

My book mentions that every subset of a discrete space is closed, but it doesn't explictly say that it is open when we first discussed them. It mentioned the topology is that every set is open...so I suppose it's implied.

Thank you!

5. Sep 17, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. If every set S is closed then its complement is also closed. So S is also open.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook