1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove every Hausdorff topology on a finite set is discret.

1. Sep 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that every Hausdorff topology on a finite set is discrete.
    I'm trying to understand a proof of this, but it's throwing me off--here's why:

2. Relevant equations
    To be Hausdorff means for any two distinct points, there exists disjoint neighborhoods for those points.
    Also, any finite subset of a Hausdorff space is closed.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let a set X have n elements (I'll write it more formal later), but I'll denote them a 1,...,i,...,j,...n.
    For each singleton element, we can write write it as:
    {i} = [itex]\bigcap[/itex](X\{j}) s.t. j≠i.
    And the set {i} is open because it's the intersection of open sets (X\{j}).

However, isn't that opposite of Hausdorff because both sets are finite subsets.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

{i} is closed, since it's a finite subset of a Hausdorff space. Now you've proved {i} is also open. So it's clopen. Doesn't that make it a discrete space?

4. Sep 17, 2012 #3
    Ah ok!

My book mentions that every subset of a discrete space is closed, but it doesn't explictly say that it is open when we first discussed them. It mentioned the topology is that every set is open...so I suppose it's implied.

Thank you!

5. Sep 17, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. If every set S is closed then its complement is also closed. So S is also open.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook