1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove f continuous given IVP and 1-1

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f : (-1, 1) → ℝ. f satisfies the intermediate value property and is one-to-one on (-1, 1). Prove f is continuous on (-1, 1)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking that the IVP and one-to-one implies that f should be strictly monotonic and that a strictly monotonic one-to-one function is continuous. Both of these seem very intuitive to me and yet I have no idea how to do the rigorous proof. For example if f is not strictly monotonic then it seems there would be a contradiction in f one-to-one but does that follow directly? Since you don't know anything else about the function..

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2012 #2
    You know it's funny, on wikipedia both versions of the Intermediate Value Theorem require f to be continuous as a hypothesis, are you sure your question isn't asking you to prove [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] is continuous?

4. Apr 18, 2012 #3
    The question as stated is correct. It states that f satisfies the intermediate value property: the result of the theorem rather than the theorem itself.

5. Apr 18, 2012 #4
    Ah yes, I apologize. This problem is tough. You won't be able to prove it's uniformly continuous, thus recall that proving point-wise continuity allows delta to depend not only on epsilon but also on the point at which you are trying to prove continuity.

Thus choose a point [itex]x \in (-1,1)[/itex] and use the IVP to find another suitable point [itex]y[/itex] (this choice will depend on epsilon). Think about what to do with |f(x) - f(y)| and with |x-y|. Then consider an arbitrary point w with a certain bound on |x-w| and its implications for |f(x) - f(w)|; I believe proving these implications will require applying the IVP and one-to-one in coordination, but I haven't formally worked out the details.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook