Sean1 Messages 5 Reaction score 0 Thread starter Jun 21, 2015 #1 I cannot seem to prove the following identity (1+sin(x))/(1-sin(x))=2tan^2(x)+1+2tan(x)sec(x) Can you assist?
I cannot seem to prove the following identity (1+sin(x))/(1-sin(x))=2tan^2(x)+1+2tan(x)sec(x) Can you assist?
Jameson Insights Author Gold Member MHB Messages 4,533 Reaction score 13 Jun 21, 2015 #2 Hi Sean, Let's start with the left-hand side. $$\frac{1+\sin(x)}{1-\sin(x)}$$. We want this to turn into an expression without a fraction, so maybe we can try getting rid of the denominator somehow. When I see something in the form of $a-b$, I often try multiplying by the conjugate $a+b$. $$\frac{1+\sin(x)}{1-\sin(x)} \left( \frac{1+\sin(x)}{1+\sin(x)} \right) $$ What do you get after trying this?
Hi Sean, Let's start with the left-hand side. $$\frac{1+\sin(x)}{1-\sin(x)}$$. We want this to turn into an expression without a fraction, so maybe we can try getting rid of the denominator somehow. When I see something in the form of $a-b$, I often try multiplying by the conjugate $a+b$. $$\frac{1+\sin(x)}{1-\sin(x)} \left( \frac{1+\sin(x)}{1+\sin(x)} \right) $$ What do you get after trying this?
Sean1 Messages 5 Reaction score 0 Jun 21, 2015 #3 Thanks for getting me started. This is my working. Can you confirm my approach is correct? View attachment 4467 Attachments identity solution.PNG 2.9 KB · Views: 183 Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
Thanks for getting me started. This is my working. Can you confirm my approach is correct? View attachment 4467
Jameson Insights Author Gold Member MHB Messages 4,533 Reaction score 13 Jun 22, 2015 #4 Looks good! :)