1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove If x^2 is irrational then x is irrational

1. Jan 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove If x^2 is irrational then x is irrational. I can find for example π^2 which is irrational and then π is irrational but I don't know how to approach the proof. Any hint?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2012 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Try a proof by contradiction. Let's say you have such a rational [itex]x[/itex] where [itex]x^2[/itex] is irrational. Then let [itex]x = \frac{p}{q}[/itex] where p and q are coprime integers (meaning it's a reduced fraction). Now see what form [itex]x^2[/itex] takes. Can you arrive at a contradiction considering that this was supposed to be irrational by the first assumption?

4. Jan 6, 2012 #3
    ok. [itex]x^{2} [/itex] = [itex]\frac{p^{2}}{q^{2}} [/itex]. Now [itex] q^{2}x^{2} = p^{2} \Rightarrow x^{2} \mid p^{2} \Rightarrow x \mid p [/itex] but I can't arrive at [itex]x \mid q[/itex] for the contradiction (when I replace p =xk in the [itex]q^{2}x^{2} = (xk)^{2} [/itex] the x^{2} on both side cancel)

5. Jan 6, 2012 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Wouldn't it suffice to observe that [itex]\frac{p^2}{q^2}[/itex] is a reduced rational number since p and q are coprime? Which would imply that [itex]x^2[/itex] is rational as well, which contradicts the original assumption of the irrationality of [itex]x^2[/itex].

In other words, the negation of the proposition [itex]x^2 \notin \mathbb{Q} \Rightarrow x \notin \mathbb{Q}[/itex] leads to a contradiction. Hence the proposition is true.

6. Jan 6, 2012 #5
    yeah, the observation make sense but I need a lemma which proves that [itex]\frac{p^2}{q^2}[/itex] is reduced form whenever [itex]\frac{p}{q}[/itex] is reduced. How do you do that?

7. Jan 6, 2012 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I would've thought that bit's obvious, and would've stated it without proof. If you want to see it more clearly, perhaps express it as [itex]\frac{(p)(p)}{(q)(q)}[/itex]. Neither of the numerator's two factors has any factors in common with either of the denominator's factors (since p and q are coprime by definition), so the fraction is irreducible (nothing to cancel out).

The only thing I can think of more fundamental than that would be to fully prime-factorise [itex]p^2[/itex] and [itex]q^2[/itex], but this just leads to a more messy yet no more convincing argument.

8. Jan 6, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you need to show [itex]\frac{p^2}{q^2}[/itex] is in reduced form? It's rational even if it's not in reduced form, isn't it?

9. Jan 6, 2012 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why bother? We know [itex] p^2 \mbox{ and } q^2 [/itex] are integers, so [itex] p^2/q^2[/itex] is a ratio of integers, hence a rational number. Who cares if they are coprime?

RGV

10. Jan 6, 2012 #9
    Thanks everybody!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?