1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Prove in any interval there exists an irrational z

1. Dec 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that in any interval there exists an irrational z.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My professor wrote this for me when trying to explain how to prove this:

[itex]a \notin Q[/itex], [itex]\epsilon[/itex] rational

[itex][r, s]\in a[/itex]

[itex]l([r, s])<\frac{\epsilon}{2}[/itex]

[itex]s-a<\frac{\epsilon}{2}[/itex]

[itex]s-\frac{\epsilon}{2}<a[/itex]

[itex]s-\frac{\epsilon}{2}+\epsilon<a+\epsilon[/itex]

[itex]s<s+\epsilon<a+\epsilon[/itex]

I don't see why you use [itex][r, s]\in a[/itex] or how my professor went from [itex]s-\frac{\epsilon}{2}+\epsilon<a+\epsilon[/itex] to [itex]s<s+\epsilon<a+\epsilon[/itex]

I also don't know where to go from here to show what needs to be proved.
    I'd really appreciate any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2009 #2
    As people were saying in the previous thread, the problem appears to be that much of what you have written down is nonsense ([tex][r, s] \in a[/tex], which is backward, and the dubious inequality deduction you mention).

What might be going on here is an attempt to make the following argument:
    Given that there is a rational number in every interval, and the existence of one single irrational number [tex]a[/tex], prove that there is an irrational number in every interval.

([tex]a[/tex] might be [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], using the standard proof.)

Here is how this argument would go. Let [tex](r,s)[/tex] be the interval in which we wish to find an irrational number. We try to do this by adding a rational number [tex]q[/tex] to [tex]a[/tex], because the sum of a rational and an irrational is irrational. So we need to find [tex]q[/tex] so that [tex]r < q + a < s[/tex]. Clearly it suffices to have [tex]r - a < q < s - a[/tex], i.e., choose [tex]q[/tex] to be any rational number in [tex](r - a, s - a)[/tex]. We can do this by hypothesis, so the proof is done.

Does this make sense?

4. Dec 18, 2009 #3
    I think so. Is this proof correct:
    Let [itex]a\in[/itex] Q, [itex]\epsilon[/itex] rational, where [itex]\epsilon\in[r-a, s-a][/itex].
    Then [itex]r-a<\epsilon<s-a[/itex], so [itex]r<\epsilon+a<s[/itex]
    So [itex]\epsilon+a\in[r, s][/itex] and [itex]\epsilon+a[/itex] is irrational.
    Therefore in any interval, there exists an irrational number.

5. Dec 18, 2009 #4

jgens

Gold Member

But, since [itex]a \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex] clearly [itex]a + \epsilon \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex]. Thus [itex]a + \epsilon[/itex] cannot be irrational.

6. Dec 18, 2009 #5
    Oops, meant to write [itex]a\notin[/itex] Q

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook