1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove Kinetic Energy equation (without calculus)

1. Mar 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove kinetic energy is relationship between mass and velocity using E(g)=mgh (no calculus, momentum, kinematics).

2. Relevant equations
    gravitational energy: E=mgh
    kinetic energy: E=(1/2)mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know it can be derived using the gravitational energy equation (E=mgh) and the kinematic equation (Δv^2)=2aΔx.

If I'm correct, conservation of energy (in free fall situation) states that E gravitational before being dropped = E kinetic when object hits the ground. I've been led to believe that I can prove the kinetic energy formula only needing E(g)=mgh and E(g)=E(k). This does not seem like enough information though. I'm stuck trying to prove that height doesn't affect kinetic energy and that the relationship between mass and velocity is (1/2) and ^2.

Am I wrong that kinetic energy can be derived only knowing E(g)=mgh and E(g)=E(k)?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2015 #2
    E , when considering the total energy, isn't a function of k, it's a function of height (The potential part, The sum is obviously a constant), which in turn can be considered a function of time. ##E(h(t))##

EDIT: what you are given is the only necessary info.

4. Mar 19, 2015 #3
    I thought energy was a poor tool for time?

5. Mar 20, 2015 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted