1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove limit of (sin2x)/(2x) as x approached 0 is 1?

1. Sep 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove limit of (sin2x)/(2x) as x approached 0 is 1. By prove I mean using the epsilon/delta definition of precise limit. You may use the fact that the limit of (sinx)/x as x approaches 0 is 1.

attempt: (where E=epsilon and d=delta)

|(sin2x)/(2x) - 1| < E if |x|<d

2(-E+1) < (sin2x)/(2x) < 2(E+1)

...now im guessing that from here you need to isolate the x so as to get |x| is less than some expression, which solves for delta. But when I try this I keep getting that x is greater than some number, not less. Also I do not know what my professor means by being able to use the limit of sinx/x?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So you know that if

[tex]|y|<\delta~\Rightarrow~|\frac{\sin(y)}{y}-1|<\varepsilon[/tex]

You need to find

[tex]|x|<\delta~\Rightarrow~|\frac{\sin(2x)}{2x}-1|<\varepsilon[/tex]

Obviously, y=2x here....

4. Sep 13, 2011 #3
    I would like to know if there's any proof of "limit of (sinx)/x as x approaches 0 is 1." ..

5. Sep 13, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sure, watch http://www.khanacademy.org/video/proof--lim--sin-x--x?playlist=Calculus [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Sep 13, 2011 #5

lurflurf

Homework Helper

How "limit of (sinx)/x as x approaches 0 is 1." is proven depends upon how sine has been defined. If for example sin'(0)=1 in included in the definition the result is trivial.

7. Sep 13, 2011 #6
    Think of a circle with radius r, and a differential angle dtheta that spans r*dtheta from the center on the circumference.

Sin(dtheta ) = r*dtheta / r , right ( although it seems there are 2 hypotenuses both being r, take one of them accepting the other is across the angle that is about 89.999999999... degrees )

So Sin(dtheta)*r=r*dtheta

cancel r's

to get to the eqn

Sin(dtheta)/(dtheta ) = 1

which interprets to lim x---> 0 , Sin x / x = 1

8. Sep 13, 2011 #7
    Yes thanks for replies above.

But in fact I have watched somewhere else, saying that the area of circle = pi * r^2 is dependent on the result sinx/x = 1 as x->0

Say, cut the circle of radius r into n equal partitions (each with angle n/2pi in the center) and area of the circle = n*r^2 /2 *sin(n/2pi) (by area of triangle = A*B*1/2*sin(angle between AB)

Take n tends to infinity, you get pi *r^2

Is there any proofs either than geometric reasoning? Say, something like epsilon-delta stuff? thx in advance!

9. Sep 13, 2011 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The most straightforward method is to use the Taylor series in the vicinity of the origin:

[tex]\frac{\sin x}{x} = 1 - \frac{x^2}{6} +\frac{x^4}{120} + \mathcal{O}(x^6)[/tex]

Clearly the limit is 1 as x vanishes.

10. Sep 13, 2011 #9
    Oh thank you!
    But how to show that the Taylor expansion does equal to sinx without using sinx/x->1 at all? I am teaching a group of students which I want to make sure everything goes in the right path and get rid of "circular proofs"! thx!

11. Sep 13, 2011 #10

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

12. Sep 13, 2011 #11
    my concern is - how can we show the area of sector is 1/2*pheta?

and would there be any simple ways with epsilon-delta?

13. Sep 13, 2011 #12

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As I said above, you don't need to use the geometrical setting. You can simply say that [itex]\sin\theta<\theta<\tan\theta[/itex] for [itex]\theta\in(0,\pi/2)[/itex]. This could be illustrated by plotting the functions together: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+sin(x),x,tan(x)+for+x=0..pi/2

14. Sep 13, 2011 #13
    Thank you very much! but are there any simple proofs of x>sinx and x<tanx?

15. Sep 13, 2011 #14

lurflurf

Homework Helper

sin(x) is chosen so that sin'(0)=1
    it is just a convention

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook