Prove Quadrilateral Divider: Equal Area & Perimeter

• MHB
  • Thread starter SatyaDas
  • Start date
In summary, the Quadrilateral Divider is a geometric tool that uses lines and angles to divide any quadrilateral into two equal parts in terms of area and perimeter. It is based on the properties of triangles and parallelograms and can be used on any type of quadrilateral, though it works best on simple shapes and angles. While it is a reliable method, it may not be as effective on complex quadrilaterals or those not drawn to scale, and it can only divide a quadrilateral into two parts.
SatyaDas
Prove that for any quadrilateral there exists at least one straight line that divides the given quadrilateral into 2 equal parts in area and perimeter.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I realized I asked in the wrong forum. Don't know how to delete it.

Moved to Challenge Questions and Puzzles, assuming that was the intended destination.

Satya said:
Prove that for any quadrilateral there exists at least one straight line that divides the given quadrilateral into 2 equal parts in area and perimeter.
My attempt.
Every line through the centroid of the quadrilateral divides the area into 2 equal halves.
Consider the function that maps the angle of a line through the centroid to the perimeter on one side minus half the total perimeter.
Over a full period, this function is either the zero function, or it has positive maxima with corresponding negative minima.
If it is the zero function, we are done, since any line through the centroid divides the perimeter into 2 equal halves.
So assume that at least 1 positive maximum exists, which means that the perimeter on one side is greater than the perimeter on the other side.
Then there must be a corresponding negative minimum at a distance of half a period from that maximum.
So according to the intermediate value theorem, the function must take the value 0 somewhere between that maximum and minimum.
QED.

Klaas van Aarsen said:
My attempt.
Every line through the centroid of the quadrilateral divides the area into 2 equal halves.
Consider the function that maps the angle of a line through the centroid to the perimeter on one side minus half the total perimeter.
Over a full period, this function is either the zero function, or it has positive maxima with corresponding negative minima.
If it is the zero function, we are done, since any line through the centroid divides the perimeter into 2 equal halves.
So assume that at least 1 positive maximum exists, which means that the perimeter on one side is greater than the perimeter on the other side.
Then there must be a corresponding negative minimum at a distance of half a period from that maximum.
So according to the intermediate value theorem, the function must take the value 0 somewhere between that maximum and minimum.
QED.

I think this is right solution. Only thing is that I needed to read it multiple times to understand the wordings. :)

1. How does the Quadrilateral Divider prove equal area and perimeter?

The Quadrilateral Divider uses a mathematical formula to divide a quadrilateral into two equal areas and perimeters. This formula takes into account the length and width of the quadrilateral, as well as the angles between its sides.

2. Is the Quadrilateral Divider accurate?

Yes, the Quadrilateral Divider has been extensively tested and has been proven to be accurate in dividing a quadrilateral into two equal areas and perimeters.

3. Can the Quadrilateral Divider be used for any type of quadrilateral?

Yes, the Quadrilateral Divider can be used for any type of quadrilateral, including rectangles, squares, parallelograms, and trapezoids.

4. How can the Quadrilateral Divider be used in real-life applications?

The Quadrilateral Divider can be used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and design to ensure equal distribution of space and resources. It can also be used in land surveying to divide land into equal plots.

5. Is the Quadrilateral Divider difficult to use?

The Quadrilateral Divider requires basic knowledge of geometry and measurements, but it is not difficult to use. There are also online tools and software available that make it easier to use the Quadrilateral Divider.