Prove relation for squeezed state - Quantum Information

In summary, the conversation discusses proving a relation involving a given function and operator. The identity used is also mentioned. The attempt at a solution involves using another identity to simplify the expression, but it is not clear how to proceed. Alternatives for proving the identity are also mentioned.
Pentaquark5

Homework Statement

Prove the following relation for ##\zeta:=r e^{i \theta}##:
[tex]
S(\zeta)^\dagger a S(\zeta)= a \cosh r - a^\dagger e^{i \theta} \sinh r
[/tex]

with ##S(\zeta)=e^{1/2[\zeta^\ast a^2-\zeta(a^\dagger)^2]}## and ##a## being the annihilation operator with eigenvalue ##\alpha##.

Homework Equations

See above

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the following identity: ##e^{At}Be^{-At}=B+\frac{t}{1!}[A,B+\frac{t^2}{2!}\big[A,[A,B]\big]+\mathcal{O}## to write

[tex]
\begin{align*}
S(\zeta)^\dagger a S(\zeta)&=\underbrace{\left(e^{1/2[\zeta^\ast a^2-\zeta(a^\dagger)^2]}\right)^\dagger}_{e^A} a \underbrace{\left(e^{1/2[\zeta^\ast a^2-\zeta(a^\dagger)^2]}\right)}_{e^{-A}} \\
&= e^A \; a \; e^{-A}\\
&=a+[A,a]+\frac{1}{2} \big[A,[A,a]\big]
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Computing the commutator ##[A,a]## yields:
[tex]
[A,a]=\frac{1}{1}re^{i\theta}[a^\dagger a^\dagger a-a a^\dagger a^\dagger]
[/tex]

I am not sure what to do with this expression, though. Is there any way to simplify it?

If not, what other way is there to prove the identity?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pentaquark5 said:
I am not sure what to do with this expression, though. Is there any way to simplify it?
Consider substituting ##a^\dagger a## with the help of the commutation ##[a,a^\dagger]=1##. Unfortunately, the above commutator expansion will have no constant or vanishing term so that you have to compute "all" terms (if you are clever enough, you should be ablo to find the pattern, though),
You will also need to know the Taylor expansion of hyperbolic functions.

1. What is a squeezed state?

A squeezed state is a type of quantum state that has reduced fluctuations in one observable at the expense of increased fluctuations in another observable. In other words, it is a state of light or matter that has been manipulated to have a more predictable behavior in one aspect while sacrificing predictability in another aspect.

2. How is a squeezed state created?

A squeezed state can be created through a process called squeezing, which involves passing a quantum system through a non-linear optical device. This device alters the quantum state to reduce fluctuations in one observable while increasing fluctuations in another observable.

3. What is the significance of squeezed states in quantum information?

Squeezed states are important in quantum information because they can be used to improve the precision of measurements and enhance the performance of quantum technologies. They also play a crucial role in quantum communication and quantum cryptography protocols.

4. How is the relation for squeezed state proven?

The relation for squeezed state can be proven mathematically using the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and the squeezing operator. This relation shows the trade-off between the fluctuations of two observables and how they are inversely related.

5. What are some potential applications of squeezed states?

Squeezed states have many potential applications in quantum computing, quantum communication, and quantum metrology. They can be used to improve the sensitivity of gravitational wave detectors, create more efficient quantum memories, and enhance the precision of atomic clocks. They also have potential uses in quantum imaging and sensing.