Prove Riemann Integrability: Let f:[0,1]->R

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Riemann
In summary, we can prove that f is Riemann integrable on [0,1] by showing that for any epsilon > 0, there exists a partition P of [0,1] such that the upper Riemann sum minus the lower Riemann sum is less than epsilon. This can be done by carefully constructing a partition P and using the fact that f is uniformly continuous on certain intervals to show that the difference between the maximum and minimum values of f on these intervals is less than epsilon.
mathster
Let f:[0,1]-> R be bounded on [0,1] and continuous on (0,1). Prove that f is Riemann integrable on [0,1]. Hint: Show that for any epsilon > 0 there exists a partition P of [0,1] such that U(f,P)-L(f,P) < epsilon.

So Let P = {0 = t0 < t1 < ... < tn = 1}
Since its bounded on [0,1] (|f(x)| <= S) and continuous on (0,1) we know its continuous on [t1,tn-1]. So Let P1 = { t1, ..., tn-1} So its continuous on this interval and bounded we know that it is uniformly continuous and thus integrable on this interval so we know that U(f,P1) - L(f,P1) < epsilon for all epsilon. Now I guess I need to add in the sums of the two intervals on the end to make the partition equal to P. Am I on the right track? SO then I would have U(f,P) - L(f,P) = M(f,[t0,t1])*(t1-t0) + U(f,P1) + M(f,[tn-1,tn])*(tn-tn-1) - [ m(f,[t0,t1]*(t1-t0) + L(f,P1) + m(f,[tn-1,tn]*(tn - tn-1) ] <= S(t1-t0) + U(f,P1) + S(tn-tn-1) - [S(t1-t0) + L(f,P1) + S(tn-tn-1)] = U(f,P1) - L(f,P1) < epsilon.

I think this is true but also feel like I am missing something. Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathster said:
So its continuous on this interval and bounded we know that it is uniformly continuous and thus integrable on this interval so we know that U(f,P1) - L(f,P1) < epsilon for all epsilon.

This is false. Carefully, write the sentence again using the right quantifiers.
---

Here is a hint. Suppose $f$ and $g$ are functions defined on $[0,1]$ where $f$ is integrable on $[0,1]$ and $g=f$ for every $x\in [0,1]$ except for finitely many values. Then $g$ is integrable also on this interval.

If $f:[0,1]\to \mathbb{R}$ is bounded consider $\lim_{x\to 0^+}f(x)$. This limit may not necessarily exist, so instead consider $\limsup_{x\to 0^+}f(x)$ which does exist and is equal to some finite number number $a$. In a similar manner let $b = \limsup_{x\to 1^-}f(x)$. Now define function $g = a$ at $x=0$, $g=b$ at $x=1$, and $g=f$ for $0<x<1$. By the above theorem to show that $f$ is integrable on $[0,1]$ it sufficies to show that $g$ is integrable.

Since $\limsup_{x\to 0+} g(x) = g(0) $ for any $\varepsilon > 0$ there is a $0<A < 1$ such that $|g(A) - g(0)| < \varepsilon$. Since $\limsup_{x\to 1^-} g(x) = g(1)$ there is a $A<B<1$ such that $|g(B) - g(1)| < \varepsilon$.

Now on the interval $[A,B]$ the function $g$ is uniformly continuous so we can partition it as $\{ t_1,t_2,...,t_{n-1} \}$ such that $t_1=A,t_{n-1}=B$ and $|g(t_j) - g(t_{j-1})| < \varepsilon$.

Define $P = \{ t_0,t_1,t_2,...,t_{n-1},t_n\}$ such that $t_0=0$ and $t_n = 1$. Then we see that $|g(t_j) - g(t_{j-1}) | < \varepsilon$. From here you should be able to carry out the rest of the argument.

Just take \(\displaystyle P=\{0,1/n,...,i/n,...,1\}\), \(\displaystyle i=0,2,...,n\).

Hence, \(\displaystyle f(x)\) is uniformly continuous on \(\displaystyle [1/n, (n-1)/n]\). Hence, \(\displaystyle M_i-m_i<\eta\), for \(\displaystyle 1\leq i\leq n-1\) and large \(\displaystyle n\).

Let \(\displaystyle M=\sup |f(x)|\), we get \(\displaystyle M_i-m_i\leq 2M\).

Therefore

\(\displaystyle U(P,f)-L(P,f)\\=\sum_{1\leq i\leq n-1}(M_i-m_i)/n+(M_0-m_0)/n+(M_n-m_n)/n\leq\eta(n-2)/n+4M/n <\epsilon\)

for large n.

Related to Prove Riemann Integrability: Let f:[0,1]->R

1. What is Riemann Integrability?

Riemann Integrability is a mathematical concept that is used to determine if a function is integrable, or able to be integrated, over a given interval. It is based on the Riemann Sum, which approximates the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles.

2. How do you prove that a function is Riemann Integrable?

To prove that a function is Riemann Integrable, we must show that the upper and lower Riemann sums converge to the same value as the partition of the interval becomes infinitely small. This is known as the Riemann Integrability Criterion.

3. What is the difference between Riemann Integrability and Lebesgue Integrability?

Riemann Integrability relies on dividing the interval into smaller rectangles, while Lebesgue Integrability uses measure theory to determine the integrability of a function. Riemann Integrability is typically used for continuous functions, while Lebesgue Integrability is used for more general cases.

4. Can a function be Riemann Integrable but not Lebesgue Integrable?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be Riemann Integrable but not Lebesgue Integrable. This can occur when the function has a finite number of discontinuities or has a bounded set of discontinuities.

5. What are some real-world applications of Riemann Integrability?

Riemann Integrability is used in many branches of mathematics, including calculus, physics, and engineering. It is used to calculate areas and volumes, determine the center of mass of an object, and solve differential equations.