Prove Schwarz Inequality for x, y, z in R+

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Pushoam
Messages
961
Reaction score
53

Homework Statement


For x,y,z ## \in \mathbb {R^+} ##, prove that
## \sqrt {x (3 x +y) } + \sqrt {y (3y +z) } + \sqrt {z(3z +x)} \leq ~ 2(x +y+ z) ##

Homework Equations


upload_2018-8-16_11-49-16.png


The Attempt at a Solution


I don't know which inequality among the above two has to be applied.
I am trying to solve it by inspection. I don't know the standard approach to solve it.
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-8-16_11-47-44.png
    upload_2018-8-16_11-47-44.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 409
  • upload_2018-8-16_11-48-46.png
    upload_2018-8-16_11-48-46.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 469
  • upload_2018-8-16_11-49-16.png
    upload_2018-8-16_11-49-16.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 724
Physics news on Phys.org
If in doubt, write the Schwarz inequality with components of general vectors v,w, expand the smaller side, then see if you can assign the components to get these square roots at a suitable spot in the equation.
 
mfb said:
If in doubt, write the Schwarz inequality with components of general vectors v,w, expand the smaller side, then see if you can assign the components to get these square roots at a suitable spot in the equation.

I did it. Thanks a lot for guiding me.