Prove that exp[A].exp = exp[A+B] only if A and B commute.

  • Thread starter Thread starter humanist rho
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Commute
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 22K views
humanist rho
Messages
92
Reaction score
0
Prove that exp[A].exp = exp[A+B] only if A and B commute.

Homework Statement



Prove that eA.eB = e(A+B) only if A and B commute.


The attempt at a solution

I expanded both sides of the equation.

(1+A+A2/2!...)(1+B+B2/2!+..) = (1+(A+B)+(A+B)2/2!+..)

Now how to proceed ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


When you work out the brackets on the left hand side, you will get products like An Bm, where all the A's are to the left of the B's.

Now try to work out (A + B)n (e.g., start with (A + B)2). What do you need to get this in the same form?
 


Hi guys.
I was reading some QM and they mentioned exp(a+b)=exp(a)*exp(b) only if [a,b]=0; so I thought to go to the series definition of exp(x) and work it out by myself.

I do understand where the problem arises if suddenly a and b don't commute anymore, but that's not my problem. I want to write down the proof for exp(a+b)=exp(a)*exp(b) for "typical" a and b. iykwim

So, I came across your post and I would like some further details of how to preoceed in the proof.
this is what I have so far:

If:
[tex] exp(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{\frac{x^n}{n!}} [/tex]

Then, for exp(a)*exp(b), we have:[tex] exp(a)*exp(b)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum_{m=0}^{\infty}{\frac{a^n}{n!}}{\frac{b^m}{m!}} [/tex]

However, if I start with exp(a+b), I go like this:[tex] exp(a+b)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{\frac{(a+b)^n}{n!}} = <br /> \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum_{k=0}^{n}\frac{1}{n!}\binom{n}{k}a^k\cdot b^{n-k} =<br /> \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum_{k=0}^{n}\frac{a^k}{k!}\frac{b^{n-k}}{(n-k)!}[/tex]

-------------------------------------------------------------
Summarizing, I get on one hand:
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum_{m=0}^{\infty}{\frac{a^n}{n!}}{\frac{b^m}{m!}} [/tex]
While on the other hand I get:
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum_{k=0}^{n}\frac{a^k}{k!}\frac{b^{n-k}}{(n-k)!}[/tex]

The two expressions look alike, but I can't put them in the very exact form. Could you help me here?

How should I proceed? I have a feeling that some index substitution is the answer, but I haven't figured out which one...
 
You are quite there. If you define n-k=l, then you obtain only the sum over n of expressions of k and l with the condition that k+l=n for k,l>=0. This sum can then be written as two sums for k and l from 0 to infinity in both cases.
 
jjalonsoc said:
You are quite there. If you define n-k=l, then you obtain only the sum over n of expressions of k and l with the condition that k+l=n for k,l>=0. This sum can then be written as two sums for k and l from 0 to infinity in both cases.

This homework thread is 2 years old, so the OP is probably not working on the problem any more... :smile: