Prove that if m, n are natural, then the root

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter rangerjoe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Natural Root
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
rangerjoe
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I've encountered this exercise which I'm having a hard time proving. It goes like this:
Prove that if m and n are natural, then the nth root of m is either integer or irrational.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would imagine you would start by proving it for m= p, a prime number. That would make it easy to prove "If integer k is not divisible by p then neither is kn" so you could mimic Euclid's proof that [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is irrational.

After that, look at products of prime.
 
if p is prime and divides m^n, p must divide m...