Prove that [itex]\sum_n \frac{1}{n^2} < 2[/itex]

  • Thread starter Thread starter Portuga
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
16 replies · 2K views
Portuga
Messages
56
Reaction score
6

Homework Statement



Prove that [tex]1+\frac{1}{2^{2}}+\frac{1}{3^{2}}+\ldots+\frac{1}{n^{2}}<2.[/tex]

Homework Equations



[tex]1 = 2^0, 2 = 2^1, 3 = 2^2 - 1, 4 = 2^2, \ldots,[/tex]

and

[tex]2^{n}<2^{n}+1<\ldots<2^{n+1}-1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


As [tex]2^{n}<2^{n}+1<\ldots<2^{n+1}-1,[/tex] it's true that
[tex] \frac{1}{2^{n}}>\frac{1}{2^{n}+1}>\ldots\frac{1}{2^{n+1}-1}.[/tex]
So, being
[tex] S_{n}=\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}}\right)+\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}+1}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}+1}\right)+\ldots+\left(\frac{1}{2^{n+1}-1}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2^{n+1}-1}\right),[/tex]
follows from previous inequalities that

[tex]S_{n} < \left(\frac{1}{2^{n}}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}}\right)+\ldots+\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{n}{2^{2n}}.[/tex]

This is a dead-end to me, because I can't compare it with 2 in an elegant way. I made the graphic of this function, [tex]f(x) = x/2^{2x},[/tex] and I verified it's less than 2 for all x, but I am pretty sure there is a better way to do this proof.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Portuga said:

Homework Statement



Prove that [tex]1+\frac{1}{2^{2}}+\frac{1}{3^{2}}+\ldots+\frac{1}{n^{2}}<2.[/tex]

Homework Equations



[tex]1 = 2^0, 2 = 2^1, 3 = 2^2 - 1, 4 = 2^2, \ldots,[/tex]

and

[tex]2^{n}<2^{n}+1<\ldots<2^{n+1}-1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


As [tex]2^{n}<2^{n}+1<\ldots<2^{n+1}-1,[/tex] it's true that
[tex] \frac{1}{2^{n}}>\frac{1}{2^{n}+1}>\ldots\frac{1}{2^{n+1}-1}.[/tex]
So, being
[tex] S_{n}=\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}}\right)+\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}+1}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}+1}\right)+\ldots+\left(\frac{1}{2^{n+1}-1}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2^{n+1}-1}\right),[/tex]
follows from previous inequalities that

[tex]S_{n} < \left(\frac{1}{2^{n}}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}}\right)+\ldots+\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{n}{2^{2n}}.[/tex]

This is a dead-end to me, because I can't compare it with 2 in an elegant way. I made the graphic of this function, [tex]f(x) = x/2^{2x},[/tex] and I verified it's less than 2 for all x, but I am pretty sure there is a better way to do this proof.

Are you familiar with induction?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Portuga
Assume that it is greater than or equal 2 and then show that can't be true

[tex]\sum \frac{1}{n^2}=\left(1+\frac{1}{2^2}+\frac{1}{3^2}+...+\frac{1}{n^2}\right)\ge 2<br /> \\<br /> \frac{1}{2^2}+\frac{1}{3^2}+...+\frac{1}{n^2}\ge 1<br /> \\<br /> \frac{2^2+3^2+4^2+...+n^2}{2^23^24^2...n^2}\ge 1<br /> \\[/tex]

which you can show isn't true using a few different arguments
 
RedDelicious said:
Assume that it is greater than or equal 2 and then show that can't be true

[tex]\sum \frac{1}{n^2}=\left(1+\frac{1}{2^2}+\frac{1}{3^2}+...+\frac{1}{n^2}\right)\ge 2<br /> \\<br /> \frac{1}{2^2}+\frac{1}{3^2}+...+\frac{1}{n^2}\ge 1<br /> \\<br /> \frac{2^2+3^2+4^2+...+n^2}{2^23^24^2...n^2}\ge 1<br /> \\[/tex]

which you can show isn't true using a few different arguments

[tex]\frac{1}{2^2}+\frac{1}{3^2}+...+\frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{2^2+3^2+4^2+...+n^2}{2^23^24^2...n^2} \:\Longleftarrow\:\text{FALSE!}[/tex]
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: RedDelicious and Portuga
Math_QED said:
Are you familiar with induction?
Yes, I will try this strategy.
 
Ray Vickson said:
[tex]\frac{1}{2^2}+\frac{1}{3^2}+...+\frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{2^2+3^2+4^2+...+n^2}{2^23^24^2...n^2} \:\Longleftarrow\:\text{FALSE!}[/tex]
Thank you very much!
 
Your Sn only sums the 1/r2 for r from n to 2n. You need the sum all the way from 1.

With regard to induction,you would need to set up your inductive hypothesis cleverly. Starting with "suppose the sum of the first N terms < 2" will get you nowhere. You'd need to find some other series summing to at most 2 and show that it acts as an upper bound for the given sequence.

A useful strategy sometimes is to compare the series with the corresponding continuous function.
 
Last edited:
I see an issue with the first of the relevant equations, based on the goal of this problem, the first relevant equation should be:

$$ 1 = 2^0, \ 2 = 2^1, 3 = 2^1+1, \ 4 = 2^2, 5 = 2^2+1, 6 = 2^2+2, 7 = 2^2+3, 8 = 2^3, \ \ldots $$

I don't think mathematical induction will be part of the solution. I'll wait for a reply before providing any more hints.
 
Last edited:
haruspex said:
A useful strategy sometimes is to compare the series with the corresponding continuous function.
Yes, it is an excellent hint!
Compare the sum to the definite integral of 1/x2 from 1 to n.
upload_2016-7-17_7-7-47.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2
haruspex said:
I was avoiding being too specific at this stage.
Your hint "compare the series with the corresponding continuous function" was a bit misleading. I think you meant the series Σ1/n2 compared to the integral of the corresponding continuous function. With the figure, I wanted to make your hint clear .
 
ehild said:
Your hint "compare the series with the corresponding continuous function" was a bit misleading. I think you meant the series Σ1/n2 compared to the integral of the corresponding continuous function. With the figure, I wanted to make your hint clear .
Again, I was leaving it to the OP to make the analogy between the sum of the series and the integral of the function.
 
Combining the attempt in post #1 and the relevant equation in post #9:

$$1+\frac{1}{2^{2}}+\frac{1}{3^{2}}+\frac{1}{4^{2}}+\ldots < 1+\left(\frac{1}{2^{2}}+\frac{1}{2^{2}}\right)+\left(\frac{1}{4^{2}}+\frac{1}{4^{2}}+\frac{1}{4^{2}}+\frac{1}{4^{2}}\right)+ \ldots$$

A finite version of the right hand series is equal to:

$$1+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{8}+\ldots+\frac{1}{N}$$

Multiply by 2

$$2+\frac{2}{2}+\frac{2}{4}+\frac{2}{4}+\ldots+\frac{2}{N} = 3+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{4}+\ldots+\frac{2}{N}$$

Then subtract 2 x series - 1 x series to eliminate the inner terms:

$$\left(3+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{4}+\ldots+\frac{2}{N}\right) - \left(1+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{4}+\ldots+\frac{1}{N}\right) = 2 - \frac{1}{N}$$

Since

$$1+\frac{1}{2^{2}}+\frac{1}{3^{2}}+\frac{1}{4^{2}}+\ldots < 1+\left(\frac{1}{2^{2}}+\frac{1}{2^{2}}\right)+\left(\frac{1}{4^{2}}+\frac{1}{4^{2}}+\frac{1}{4^{2}}+\frac{1}{4^{2}}\right)+ \ldots$$

Then even an infinite series of the left hand side is < 2.
 
Last edited:
Portuga said:

Homework Statement



Prove that [tex]1+\frac{1}{2^{2}}+\frac{1}{3^{2}}+\ldots+\frac{1}{n^{2}}<2.[/tex]

Homework Equations



[tex]1 = 2^0, 2 = 2^1, 3 = 2^2 - 1, 4 = 2^2, \ldots,[/tex]

and

[tex]2^{n}<2^{n}+1<\ldots<2^{n+1}-1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


As [tex]2^{n}<2^{n}+1<\ldots<2^{n+1}-1,[/tex] it's true that
[tex] \frac{1}{2^{n}}>\frac{1}{2^{n}+1}>\ldots\frac{1}{2^{n+1}-1}.[/tex]
So, being
[tex] S_{n}=\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}}\right)+\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}+1}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}+1}\right)+\ldots+\left(\frac{1}{2^{n+1}-1}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2^{n+1}-1}\right),[/tex]
follows from previous inequalities that

[tex]S_{n} < \left(\frac{1}{2^{n}}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}}\right)+\ldots+\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2^{n}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{n}{2^{2n}}.[/tex]

This is a dead-end to me, because I can't compare it with 2 in an elegant way. I made the graphic of this function, [tex]f(x) = x/2^{2x},[/tex] and I verified it's less than 2 for all x, but I am pretty sure there is a better way to do this proof.

You could also use the fact that for ##n \geq 2## we have
[tex]\frac{1}{n^2} < \frac{1}{n(n-1)} = \frac{1}{n-1} - \frac{1}{n}[/tex]
The series
$$\sum_{n=2}^N \left( \frac{1}{n-1} - \frac{1}{n} \right) $$
is easy to deal with (being a so-called "telescoping" series).