1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that the limit of [x]+[-x] at infinity doesn't exist.

1. Jun 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is to prove that the limit of [x]+[-x] at infinity does not exist.

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the argument that the function [x]+[-x] is equivalent to the function f such that it gives 0 for all integers and gives -1 otherwise. therefore because the function f oscillates between 0 and -1 at infinity the limit can not exist. then I realized that my argument might be not so convincing for the professor. I then tried to use the following logical argument: assuming the limit exists and is equal to L, then there exists a positive number N that for any epsilon greater than zero when x>N we can conclude: |f(x) - L| < epsilon. therefore If I show that this assumption leads to a contradiction I have solved the problem. I said let's take x to be greater than N, f(x) is either 0 or -1 by definition. if f(x) is 0 then |0-L| < epislon which says L is between -epsilon and +epsilon, now since epsilon is an arbitrary number, let's take it to be equal to L/2. then it says that -L/2 < L < L/2 which is false.
    Now if f(x) is -1, then |-1-L|=|L+1|<epislon. which says L is between -epsilon-1 and +epislon-1. now since epsilon is again an arbitrary number, let's assume that epsilon is equal to L. then it tells us that -L-1<L<L-1 and there is no such L that satisfies this inequality. therefore in both cases we've shown that the limit does not exist.

am I right? Can I write it to the professor as the answer?
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi AdrianZ! :smile:

Your argument does not work for L=0. Indeed, you took epsilon to be equal to L/2. But if L is 0, then you've taken epsilon=0, which is not allowed. So you'll have to do something different for L=0.

In any case, I found your argument a bit weird (not that's it's wrong, it's just uncommon). You've basically fixed x and then said that there is no corresponding L. A more structured argument takes the following approach (which I'll leave to you to complete):

Assume the limit L exists, there are three possibilities for L:
    • L=0. But this can't be because...
    • L=1. But this can't be because...
    • L is not 0 or 1. But this can't be because...

4. Jun 24, 2011 #3
    Yes You're right. my argument doesn't work for L<0 as well. I was just thinking about this a few seconds ago before you reply.

I found your argument convincing, I mean you've assumed that there are 3 possibilities which is a right thing to do. Now let me try to work with your suggested argument.

well, assuming L=0 then we should have |f(x) - 0| < epsilon which says |f(x)| < 0 must be true for every f(x) depending on the epsilon that I choose. am I right? now If f(x) = -1 then it says that |-1|<0 which is a contradiction.

the second assumption too is easy to prove. but the third one is a little bit tricky. could you give me a clue of how to prove the 3rd one?

my first argument can be corrected if I take epsilon to be equal to |L/2| and then prove L=0 separately. am I right?

5. Jun 24, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No, it says that |f(x)|<epsilon for each f(x). Now what happens if you choose epsilon=1/2?

Yes, I believe so.

6. Jun 24, 2011 #5
    well, sorry for being so confused at the beginning. I modified my argument this way, It turned out to be very similar to what micromass suggested:

assuming that the limit exists and is equal to L but not equal to 0 or -1, f(x) must be either 0 or -1. if f(x)=0 then |0-L|<epsilon which means |L|<epsilon. Now take the epsilon to be |L|/2 and we have come to a contradiction.
    Now if f(x)= -1 then we have |-1-L|=|L+1|<epsilon. assuming that epsilon is equal to |L+1| leads to |L+1|<|L+1| which is false.
    Now, assume that L=0. it suffices to show that there is one value for f(x) which leads us to contradiction. take f(x) = -1. then we'll have: |-1 - 0| < epislon which says that for any epsilon less than 1 the argument will fail which is a contradiction.
    Now, assume that L=-1. it suffices to show that there is one value for f(x) which leads us to contradiction. take f(x) = 0. then we'll have |0 - (-1)| < epsilon which says that epsilon is greater than 1 which means any epsilon less than one would fail which is a contradiction.

Now, Is this one a correct argument?

7. Jun 24, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, that sounds good!

8. Jun 24, 2011 #7
    Thank you micromass for your help. I do appreciate it xP

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook