1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof about product of 4 integers

1. Jun 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the product of four consecutive integers is always one less than a perfect square.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried looking at the product [itex] (n-1)(n)(n+1)(n+2)=x^2-1 [/itex]
    but i couldn't seem to get anything useful out of it. I added one to both sides .
    I tried to see if i could some how show that the product of the four integers plus 1 had an odd number of divisors but I couldn't see a way to do it. I did notice that these numbers are never divisible by 2,3,or 4, and alot of the time they produce a prime, all though I didn't check very many.
    And when it wasn't a prime it was divisible by 5. I was trying to think of a way to do this with Pythagorean triples but im not sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2014 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look harder :smile:. Don't overthink the problem with the other ideas you tried. This doesn't depend on any theorems in number theory!

It's hard to give a hint without telling you the answer, but think about what you can you do with ##x^2-1##.

4. Jun 28, 2014 #3
    are you talking about factoring it into (x+1)(x-1) I not sure how that helps I did look at that. we do know that x needs to be odd. so x=2y+1 so (2y+1+1)(2y+1-1)=(2y+2)(2y)=4y(y+1) I still dont see how it will work. I guess Ill keep trying stuff. thanks for your post.

5. Jun 28, 2014 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't bother about x being odd or even. Just factor the left hand side into the same form.

6. Jun 28, 2014 #5
    So we have (n^2-1)(n)(n+2)=x^2-1 I just dont see what this does, I can see how we have similar things on both sides. but it seems like we still have 2 extra terms on the left side.

7. Jun 28, 2014 #6

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try taking different pairs of factors from ##(n-1)(n)(n+1)(n+2)## to get ##(an^2 + bn + c -1)(an^2 + bn + c + 1)##.

Or, factorize ##(n-1)(n)(n+1)(n+2) + 1## into a perfect square, like ##(an^2 + bn + c)^2##. It's not hard to guess the values of ##a## and ##c##.

8. Jun 29, 2014 #7
    ok thanks for your help, I see it now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted