1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that the series converges

1. Nov 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If [itex]\sum(an)[/itex] converges, and an>0, prove that [itex]\sum\sqrt{an}/n[/itex] converges

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm trying to use the comparison test, since an>0. So I have to prove that an>[itex]\sqrt{an}[/itex]/n. But I keep getting stuck here because an approaches zero, so an is not greater than [itex]\sqrt{an}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Nov 22, 2012 #3
    I think so!

If [itex]\sum\sqrt{an}/n[/itex] diverges, then the limit as n approaches infinity of [itex](\sqrt{a(n+1)}/(n+1))/\sqrt{an}/n[/itex] is greater than or equal to 1, which implies that the limit as n approaches infinity of [itex]\sqrt{a(n+1)}/\sqrt{an}[/itex] is greater than or equal to 1, which implies that the limit as n approaches infinity of a(n+1)/an is strictly greater than 1, which implies divergence.
    A contradiction, thus the above series is not divergent.

I think that's it. If so, thank you so much!

5. Nov 22, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, that isn't what I had in mind. [itex](\sqrt{a(n+1)}/(n+1))/\sqrt{an}/n[/itex] might not converge to a limit.
    Thinking about it some more, I don't think the "comparison test 2" can help after all. The problem is that the ratio of consecutive terms of an could go the 'wrong' way occasionally. E.g. a2n+1 = a2n/10 = a2n-1/5.
    But I think I see how to do it. Try partitioning the an series into two sums, one consisting of those terms ≤ 1/n2, and one consisting of those > 1/n2

6. Nov 22, 2012 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's a different hint. Since$$
    0\le (a-b)^2= a^2-2ab+b^2$$it follows that$$
    ab\le \frac{a^2+b^2}{2}$$holds for any numbers ##a## and ##b##. See if you can use that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook