1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that topological manifold homeomorphic to Euclidean subspace

1. Mar 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that every topological manifold is homeomorphic to some subspace of E^n, i.e., n-dimensional Euclidean space.

2. Relevant equations
    A topological manifold is a Hausdorff space that are locally Euclidean, i.e., there's an n such that for each x, there's a neighborhood N(x) homeomorphic to E^n.

3. The attempt at a solution
    This must be well known, but I have no idea how to start. How would I construct the E^n subspace and the corresponding homeomorphic mapping? By definition, there's a different mapping for each point. Thank you for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2012 #2
    perhaps a partition of unity? you need to find a way of extending the local maps to generate a global map inheriting the properties of the local maps by restriction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook