1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that x is irrational unless it is an integer.

1. Feb 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is taken from an answer book that I have. I don't understand the bolded step. Can someone explain it to me?

Suppose x = p/q where p and q are natural numbers with no common factor. Then:

pn/qn + an-1pn-1/qn-1 + ... + ao = 0

and multiplying both sides by qn gives

pn + an-1pn-1q + ... + aoqn = 0

Now if q ≠ ±1 then q has some prime number as a factor. This prime number divides every term of the second equation other than pn, so it must divide pn also. Therefore it divides p, a contradiction. So q = ±1, which means that x is an integer.

Once again, it's the bolded step that I don't understand. Why must it divide pn?
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks like you're asking us to pick things up in the middle of a proof, without letting us know what it is that is being proved.

I'm guessing that you're looking at a solution for the following.
    Prove that any root of the following polynomial of degree, n, with integer coefficients:
    xn + an-1 xn-1 + an-2 xn-2 + an-3 xn-3 + an-4 xn-4 + … + a0
    is either an integer, or the root is irrational.​
    The proof is by contradiction, and done by assuming that there is a rational, non-integer root.

To answer your question:

Rewrite that second equation of yours as:

an-1pn-1q + ... + aoqn = -pn

So, q divides the left hand side. Therefore, it must divide the right hand side.

4. Feb 12, 2012 #3
    Thank you so much! I can't believe I missed that! Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook