Proving the Divisibility Property of Prime Numbers: A Simple Guide

• Thread starter mephillip
  • Start date
In summary, the statement "if p divides ab then p divides a or p divides b" is proven using the contrapositive method and the unique factorization theorem. It is also important to consider the possibility of negative numbers and proving it for all positive numbers. The condition of a or b being greater than p is not necessary.
mephillip

Homework Statement

Prove or disprove: let a and b be integers and let p be a prime number. If p divides ab then p divides a or p divides b.

Homework Equations

pk=a
a=pq+r

The Attempt at a Solution

Contrapositive: if p does not divide a and p does not divide b, then p does not divide ab.
p divides a for some integer k; pk=a
p does not divide a for some integer q and r; a=pq+r
If p divides ab and p does not divide a, then p divides b.
gcd(p,a)=1; there exists integers u and v such that pu+av=1.

Physics news on Phys.org
To prove directly, rather than using contrapositive, apply the unique factorization theorem to factor ab and see where that gets you.

Likes member 587159 and Logical Dog
mephillip said:

Homework Statement

Prove or disprove: let a and b be integers and let p be a prime number. If p divides ab then p divides a or p divides b.

Homework Equations

pk=a
a=pq+r

The Attempt at a Solution

Contrapositive: if p does not divide a and p does not divide b, then p does not divide ab.
p divides a for some integer k; pk=a
p does not divide a for some integer q and r; a=pq+r
If p divides ab and p does not divide a, then p divides b.
gcd(p,a)=1; there exists integers u and v such that pu+av=1.

What tools/results are you permitted to know/use?

Ray Vickson said:
What tools/results are you permitted to know/use?

What do you mean?

FactChecker said:
To prove directly, rather than using contrapositive, apply the unique factorization theorem to factor ab and see where that gets you.

Hello.sorry if this is wrong...I thought it would only work if a and b are greater than zero and one of a and b is greater than P? I also don't understand the question, sure if a and b are both negative(as it says are in integers) p can divide the product, but not both individually using other factors which are only primes? right? so to use the factorisation of primes, I think a or b > 0, and a or b > P

assuming just using two lists of primes for a and b.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
mephillip said:
What do you mean?
I mean exactly what I say. Have you already seen some theorems about integers, primes, etc.? Do you know about prime factorization? So, what material do you have available to work with?

Bipolar Demon said:
Hello.sorry if this is wrong...I thought it would only work if a and b are greater than zero and one of a and b is greater than P? I also don't understand the question, sure if a and b are both negative(as it says are in integers) p can divide the product, but not both individually using other factors which are only primes? right? so to use the factorisation of primes, I think a or b > 0, and a or b > P

assuming just using two lists of primes for a and b.
Good point. To give a complete proof, the possibility of negative numbers needs to be considered. I think that can be taken care of by proving it for all positive numbers and handling negative numbers as corollaries.

Likes Logical Dog
Bipolar Demon said:
and one of a and b is greater than P?
That is not a necessary additional condition.

haruspex said:
That is not a necessary additional condition.

Yes, I think I understand. Is it because a= b =p is not ruled out??

Bipolar Demon said:
Yes, I think I understand. Is it because a= b =p is not ruled out??
No, it's because you are given that p divides ab, so (if nonnegative) you can prove that at least one of them is greater than p.

Likes Logical Dog
haruspex said:
No, it's because you are given that p divides ab, so (if nonnegative) you can prove that at least one of them is greater than p.

Oh, I think that is what I meant originally but now I am not sure as I said a or b > p and then one of a and b > p.,
thank you, i must study the basics again.

Last edited:

What is the divisibility property of prime numbers?

The divisibility property of prime numbers states that any integer can be divided evenly by a prime number without leaving a remainder. In other words, a prime number is only divisible by 1 and itself.

Why is it important to prove the divisibility property of prime numbers?

Proving the divisibility property of prime numbers is important because it helps us to understand the fundamental properties of prime numbers and their role in number theory. It also allows us to use prime numbers in various mathematical operations and algorithms.

How can I prove the divisibility property of prime numbers?

There are various methods for proving the divisibility property of prime numbers, but one simple method is to use the method of contradiction. This involves assuming that a number is not divisible by a prime number and then showing that this assumption leads to a contradiction.

Are there any real-world applications of the divisibility property of prime numbers?

Yes, the divisibility property of prime numbers has numerous real-world applications. For example, it is used in cryptography to generate secure encryption keys, in computer science for prime factorization algorithms, and in economics for calculating exchange rates.

Is it possible for a number to have more than two factors and still be considered a prime number?

No, a number can only be considered a prime number if it has exactly two factors: 1 and itself. If a number has more than two factors, it is considered a composite number.