Prove that x^n-y^n is divisible by x-y

• Thread starter mxam
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving induction that a poster is having difficulty understanding. The poster thanks others for their help, and provides a summary of their help. They explain that they need to use a formula for the sum of a geometric sequence to solve the problem, but do not understand why they are using x(y^k). They explain that this is because the origin of the x(y^k) is not clear, and ask for help with this last part.
mxam
I don't know how to prove by mathematical induction that x^n-y^n is divisible by x-y . . . Can you show me step by step? . . .Greetings!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but the rules of PF state clearly that you must make an attempt at solution.

As to proofs by induction, start with n = 1, 2, 3, etc. and see if the resulting polynomial is divisible by x-y. If you don't run into a contradiction along the line, try making a general statement for any integer n.

Code:
[itex]((x^n-y^n)/x-y)=>\frac {x^1-y^1} {x-y}=>\frac {x-y} {x-y} OK [/itex]

Now, n= k
Code:
[itex]x^k-y^k = m(x-y) ; [/itex] where m is a positive integer.

Now, my question is n=k+1 where,
Code:
[itex]x^k+1+-y^k+1= ?[/itex]

I don´t understand the next step, i saw some explanations on internet but i don't understand ! Help me please. :s

When you say "Divisible by" x-y, that means that (x-y) is a polynomial factor, not exactly that ##x^k - y^k = m(x-y)## where m is a positive integer, but that m is a polynomial.
Note that ##x^2-y^2= (x-y)(x+y)## and ##(x^3 - y^3) = (x-y)(x^2 +xy +y^2) ##.

mxam said:
Code:

Now, n= k
Code:

Now, my question is n=k+1 where,
Code:
[itex]x^k+1+-y^k+1= ?[/itex]

I don´t understand the next step, i saw some explanations on internet but i don't understand ! Help me please. :s

Your Latex skills have let you down here. You need to use curly brackets { } to collect the right terms in the exponents.
Code:
[itex]x^{k+1}-y^{k+1}= ?[/itex]

Do you know the expression for the sum of a geometric sequence ? See http://www.regentsprep.org/regents/math/algtrig/atp2/geoseq.htm

ehild

SteamKing said:
Sorry, but the rules of PF state clearly that you must make an attempt at solution.
So noted, and dealt with.

I think that using the formula for the sum of a geometric sequence is the simplest way to do this but would NOT be a proof by induction.

mxam, write [tex]x^{k+ 1}- y^{k+1}[/tex] as [tex]x(x^k)- y(y^k)= x(x^k)- (y(x^k)- y(x^k))- y(y^k)= x^k(x- y)+ y(x^k- y^k)[/tex]

Are you allowed to use polynomial long division?

Thanks for your answers. I saw a "clear" solution online, let me show you:

mxam said:
Code:

Now, n= k
Code:

n=k+1
Code:
[itex]x^{k+1}-y^{k+1}[/itex]
Code:
[itex](x^1)(x^k)-(y^1)(y^k)[/itex]
Code:
[itex]x(x^k)-x(y^k)+x(y^k)-y(y^k)[/itex]

And later the solution. But I don't understand just 1 thing, why are using [itex]x(y^k)[/itex]? . . . where the origin for it? . . .

I appreciated your time. This is a old homework of Algebra, but is exercise unresolved, and now, i want to know the real way to resolve it. . .

mxam said:
Thanks for your answers. I saw a "clear" solution online, let me show you:
mxam said:
Code:
Now, n= k
Code:
n=k+1
Code:
[itex]x^{k+1}-y^{k+1}[/itex]
Code:
[itex](x^1)(x^k)-(y^1)(y^k)[/itex]
Code:
[itex]x(x^k)-x(y^k)+x(y^k)-y(y^k)[/itex]
And later the solution. But I don't understand just 1 thing, why are using [itex]x(y^k)[/itex]? . . . where the origin for it? . . .
I appreciated your time. This is a old homework of Algebra, but is exercise unresolved, and now, i want to know the real way to resolve it. . .
There are three things you need to do in an induction proof:
1. Show that the statement is true for some starting value of n, typically, but not always, n = 1.
2. Assume that the statement is true for n = k. This is called the induction hypothesis.
3. Using the induction hypothesis of step 2, show that the statement is true for n = k + 1.

In your work shown above, you established step 1 by showing that x1 - y1 is divisible by x - y. For step 2, it was not clear that you were assuming that xk - yk is divisible by x - y. Also, you are throwing in a lot of symbols, such as => ("implies") that aren't appropriate here. You should be using = to connect expressions that have the same value.

You didn't finish things by working through step 3. Another poster in this thread has already mentioned that you can't write xk - yk as a constant m times (x - y). You could write this as xk - yk = m(x)(x - y), where m(x) is a polynomial of degree k - 1.

Finally, you don't need to wrap [ code ] tags around your [ itex ] tags.

mxam said:
Thanks for your answers. I saw a "clear" solution online, let me show you:...x(xk)−x(yk)+x(yk)−y(yk) And later the solution. But I don't understand just 1 thing, why are using x(yk)? . . . where the origin for it? . . .
It is always possible to add and subtract the same term to an expression. It is just a clever thing to do. You can arrange the expression so it is the sum of two terms, both divisible by x-y:
x(xk−yk)-yk(x-y).

ehild

ehild said:
It is always possible to add and subtract the same term to an expression. It is just a clever thing to do. You can arrange the expression so it is the sum of two terms, both divisible by x-y:
x(xk−yk)-yk(x-y).

ehild

Thanks. . . .

1. How can you prove that x^n-y^n is divisible by x-y?

To prove that x^n-y^n is divisible by x-y, we can use the factor theorem. This states that if (x-y) is a factor of a polynomial, then the polynomial evaluated at (x=y) will equal zero. In other words, (x-y) is a root of the polynomial. By substituting (x=y) into the polynomial x^n-y^n, we get 0^n - y^n, which simplifies to 0-y^n = -y^n. Since this equals zero, we can conclude that (x-y) is a factor of x^n-y^n, making it divisible by (x-y).

2. Can you prove that x^n-y^n is always divisible by x-y?

Yes, we can prove that x^n-y^n is always divisible by x-y. This is because the factor theorem applies to any value of n, meaning that (x-y) will always be a factor of x^n-y^n. Therefore, x^n-y^n will always be divisible by (x-y).

3. What is the relationship between x^n-y^n and x-y?

The relationship between x^n-y^n and x-y is that x^n-y^n is a multiple of (x-y). This means that x^n-y^n can be divided evenly by (x-y) without any remainder. This relationship is true for any value of n, as long as n is a positive integer.

4. How is the factor theorem used to prove that x^n-y^n is divisible by x-y?

The factor theorem is used to prove that x^n-y^n is divisible by x-y by showing that (x-y) is a factor of x^n-y^n. This is done by substituting (x=y) into the polynomial x^n-y^n, which results in a value of zero. This proves that (x-y) is a root of the polynomial and therefore a factor of x^n-y^n, making it divisible by (x-y).

5. Can you provide an example of how to prove that x^n-y^n is divisible by x-y?

Yes, for example, let's prove that x^5-y^5 is divisible by x-y. By using the factor theorem, we can substitute (x=y) into the polynomial x^5-y^5, which results in 0^5-y^5 = 0-y^5 = -y^5. Since this equals zero, we can conclude that (x-y) is a factor of x^5-y^5, making it divisible by (x-y).