1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove the Contraction Mapping Theorem.

1. Feb 8, 2014 #1
    Prove the Contraction Mapping Theorem.

Let ##(X,d)## be a complete metric space and ##g : X \rightarrow X## be a map such that ##\forall x,y \in X, d(g(x), g(y)) \le \lambda d(x,y)## for some ##0<\lambda < 1##.Then ##g## has a unique fixed point ##x^* \in X ##, and it attracts everything, i.e. for any ##x_0 \in X## , the sequence of iterates ##x_0, g(x_0), g(g(x_0))##, ... converges to the fixed point ##x^* \in X##.

The hint I am given are for existence and convergence - prove that the sequence is Cauchy. For uniqueness, choose two fixed points of ##g## and apply the map to both.

My approach is After we got to ##d(x_{n+1}, x_n) \le \lambda^n d(x_1, x_0)##,

then assuming that ##m > n##, ##d(x_m, x_n) \le d(x_m, x_{m-1}) + d(x_{m-1}, x_{m-2}) + ... + d(x_{n+1}, x_{n})## since each term of the right hand size is 0 ...so if we add up all the 0 terms, we get 0 on the right hand size. Therefore, ##d(x_m, x_n)## is 0. If this is right, then the question I have here is how do I guarantee that ##x_{m-1} > x_n##?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Assuming you are trying to prove the sequence is Cauchy and that ##x_n=g^n(x_0)##, why do you think the terms on the right side are zero??

4. Feb 9, 2014 #3
    I realize my reasoning a little bit off since the difference between m and n could be infinity , is any difference way to argue that the sum of the right hand side are zeros?

5. Feb 9, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They aren't zeros. Try to bound it with a geometric series.

6. Feb 9, 2014 #5
    Use geometric in the right hand side and could you show a step or two for that?

7. Feb 9, 2014 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got ##d(x_{n+1}, x_n) \le \lambda^n d(x_1, x_0)##. Use it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook