1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove the open ball B(x,r) is a subset of B(x',r') iff d(x,x')<r'-r

1. May 21, 2013 #1
    As stated, the problem is to prove B(x,r) is a subset of B(x',r') if and only if d(x,x')<r'-r, where d is a measure function. The proof going one direction seems pretty simple, but I can not figure out the other direction

Attempt at answer

<=

Assume d(x,x') < r'-r.
    Assume a is an element of B(x,r).
    Then d(x,x') < r'-r implies d(x,x') + r < r' implies d(x,x') + d(x,a) < r' as d(x,a) < r.
    This implies that d(x',a) < r' by use of the triangle inequality, and thus a is an element of B(x',r').

=>

Let a be an element of B(x,r).
    Then a is an element of B(x',r').
    So d(x,a)<r and d(x',a)<r'.
    This implies that d(x',a)-d(x,a) < r'-r

This would almost suggest a use of the reverse triangle inequality, but the inequality is pointing the wrong direction to use here. I am not sure how to proceed.

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2013 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since this is a textbook-style problem, I'm moving the thread to the calculus & beyond homework forum. You should post questions about textbook-style questions there, and questions about concepts, definitions and theorems in the topology & analysis forum.

Your proof of the first implication is fine, but can be made a bit prettier:

Suppose that ##d(x,x')<r'-r##. Let ##a\in B(x,r)## be arbitrary. Then
    $$d(a,x')\leq d(a,x)+d(x,x')<r+(r'-r)=r'.$$ To prove the other implication, use that the point at the center of an open ball is an element of the open ball.

4. May 21, 2013 #3
    Sorry about putting the thread in the wrong place. I will be sure to put it in the right place next time.

Ok, so since B(x,r) is a subset of B(x',r'), we know that x is an element of B(x',r').
    This implies that d(x,x') < r'.

But we need d(x,x') < r' - r

I'm not exactly sure how to proceed from that point. Intuitively, it seems like we want to use the point in B(x,r) that is farthest from x'. However, I have no idea how to find that point.

5. May 21, 2013 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're right, that was a mistake on my part. I forgot what we were trying to prove, exactly as your post suggests. Unfortunately I don't have time to think this through right now. I'll have another look tomorrow if this isn't solved by then.

6. May 21, 2013 #5
    No sweat. Thank you for the help so far!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted