1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove the relationship between kPa and mmHg?

1. Jul 18, 2012 #1
    I suppose this is more of a math question, but it's a bonus question in my chemistry upgrade class.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove the relationship 760mmHg=101.35kPa mathematically, by using conversion factors.

2. Relevant equations
    1 Pa=1 kgm/s2 (No it doesn't?...)
    density of Hg=13.6g/cm3
    acceleration due to gravity=9.8m/s2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'll be honest, my mind is totally blanking on this, I know my math skills should be able to handle this no problem, but it feels like all my math skills have ran away for the summer. I mean yeah I can convert 101.35kPa into an area using gravity I guess, but I'm not sure what that tells me. While telling me how to get the answer would be great, I'd even be happy with a hint at where to get start.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2012 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

You have a column of mercury sitting on a one meter by one meter square that is 760 mm high. What is the pressure on that square in kPa?

4. Jul 23, 2012 #3
    This question was a lot easier than it felt at the time, just stepped entirely away from chemistry for a bit and looked at it as a math problem, what you said helped me get into the right mindset. I even got an extra mark for pointing out the mistake in the problem. (1 Pa equals 1kg/s2m, not 1kgm/s2)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook