Proving all derivatives of a function are bounded by another function

In summary, the problem is to prove that the absolute value of the nth derivative of the given function is bounded by a function on the right for any n, any d>0, and all 0≤x<∞. The attempt at a solution involves using Leibniz Rule and the fact that the function is analytical and smooth. However, there is uncertainty about the behavior of the g^(n-k) term and how to handle the "any d>0" part. It is also noted that the problem may relate to Schwartz space, but it is unclear how to use this concept to prove or disprove the inequality.
myshadow
I just ran into this problem and have no idea how to solve it. Basically I'm trying to prove that all orders of derivative of the given function is bounded by the function on the right. I'm pretty sure the inequality is true, but I really have no clue on how to prove it. I thought about using Leibniz Rule (I actually didn't know about it before), but I got stuck. I think I might be making it more complicated than it actually is.

Homework Statement

Prove

[itex]|d^n_x(\frac{e^{-(a+b)x}}{3+\cos(e^{-bx})})|≤\frac{C}{(1+x)^d}[/itex]

for any [itex]n[/itex], any [itex]d>0[/itex], and all [itex]0≤x<∞[/itex],

where [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] are constants greater than zero and [itex]C[/itex] is a constant greater than zero that depends on [itex]d[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex].

Homework Equations

General Leibniz Rule (relevant?)

[itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] are [itex]n[/itex] differentiable functions then the [itex]n[/itex]th derivative is of their product is

[itex](f\cdot g)^n=\sum_{k=0}^n \begin{pmatrix}n\\k\end{pmatrix}f^{(k)} g^{(n-k)}[/itex],

where [itex]\begin{pmatrix}n\\k\end{pmatrix}[/itex] is the binomial coefficient.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if any of this is correct...

The function is analytical for all x and therefore smooth for all x. Hence, for n=0, the left side exponentially decays to zero. From here, for n=0, I don't know how to prove that the inequality is true for all d>0.

For n>0, since the function is smooth, I can apply Leibniz Rule as follows:

[itex]f=e^{-(a+b)x}[/itex] and [itex]g=(3+\cos(e^{-bx}))^{-1}[/itex].

Then,

[itex] f^{(k)}=(-(a+b))^k e^{-(a+b)x} [/itex].

Therefore,

[itex]|d^n_x(\frac{e^{-(a+b)x}}{3+\cos(e^{-bx})})|=\sum_{k=0}^n \begin{pmatrix}n\\k\end{pmatrix}(-(a+b))^k (e^{-(a+b)x})g^{(n-k)}[/itex]

Lastly, I guess I can argue, since the left side of the inequality is smooth and always multiplied by an exponentially decaying function, the left side is bounded.

I'm pretty sure my last step is wrong because I didn't show what the behaviour of the g^(n-k) is. Also, again I don't know what to do for the "any d>0" part. I'm really stuck and I have no idea what to do. I'm a mechanical engineer so my math skills aren't super advanced. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry for the double post, but I was looking more into this and I think this problem relates to Schwartz space or "function space of functions all of whose derivatives are rapidly decreasing."

"To put common language to this definition, we could note that a rapidly decreasing function is essentially a function f(x) such that f(x), f'(x), f''(x), ... all exist everywhere on the real line and go to zero as x goes to +/- infinity faster than any inverse power of x...ANY smooth function f with compact support is in Schwartz space." (according to Wikipedia)

I'm not really sure how to use any of this to prove/disprove the inequality above. Hopefully, someone else can understand this better than me. thanks.

1. What does it mean to prove that all derivatives of a function are bounded by another function?

Proving that all derivatives of a function are bounded by another function means showing that the rate of change of the function (represented by its derivatives) is always limited by the values of the second function. In other words, the derivatives of the first function never exceed the values of the second function.

2. Why is it important to prove that all derivatives of a function are bounded by another function?

This proof is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of the behavior of a function. It allows us to understand the limits of the function's rate of change and make predictions about its behavior in different scenarios. It also helps in solving various mathematical problems and in the development of new mathematical concepts.

3. What is the process for proving that all derivatives of a function are bounded by another function?

The process of proving this statement involves showing that the absolute value of the derivative of the function is always less than or equal to the value of the second function. This can be done using various mathematical techniques such as the Mean Value Theorem, the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, or by using basic properties of derivatives and inequalities.

4. Can this proof be applied to any type of function?

Yes, this proof can be applied to any type of function as long as it is differentiable. This includes polynomial functions, exponential functions, trigonometric functions, and more. However, the specific techniques used in the proof may vary depending on the type of function.

5. What are the practical applications of proving that all derivatives of a function are bounded by another function?

This proof has various practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to analyze the behavior of physical systems, to optimize functions in engineering problems, and to model economic phenomena. It is also a crucial concept in the study of calculus and higher mathematics.