Prove using general properties of vectors (not coordinates):

In summary: X\vec{X}\cdot\vec{Y}In summary, you need to use the properties of vectors to prove that |X+Y|^2 - |X-Y|^2 = 4X(dot)Y.
ccmetz2020

Homework Statement

Prove that |X+Y|^2 - |X-Y|^2 = 4X(dot)Y using general properties of vectors.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm very confused about how to start this. If someone could give me some help to just get me started then that would hopefully get the ball rolling for me. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the definition of the magnitude squared? Might be a good way to start.

Well, simply "expand" the left side of the equation...

Edit: sorry, late

Oh wow, I definitely wasn't thinking straight. Thanks guys, I expanded it and got 4XY. Well that was a lot easier than I thought...

ccmetz2020 said:
Oh wow, I definitely wasn't thinking straight. Thanks guys, I expanded it and got 4XY. Well that was a lot easier than I thought...
Did you get 4X(dot)Y ? ... or simply 4XY ?

I got just 4XY, but I don't see how I can get 4X(dot)Y from that? Is there a way to say that 4XY = 4X(dot)Y? Thanks again for the help.

ccmetz2020 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that |X+Y|^2 - |X-Y|^2 = 4X(dot)Y using general properties of vectors.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm very confused about how to start this. If someone could give me some help to just get me started then that would hopefully get the ball rolling for me. Thanks!

ccmetz2020 said:
I got just 4XY, but I don't see how I can get 4X(dot)Y from that? Is there a way to say that 4XY = 4X(dot)Y? Thanks again for the help.
I assume that X & Y are vectors, not variables used as coordinates.

So you need to :

[tex]\text{Prove that }\ \left|\vec{X}+\vec{Y}\right|^2-\left|\vec{X}-\vec{Y}\right|^2=4\vec{X}\cdot\vec{Y}\ \text{ using general properties of vectors.}[/tex]

Some properties:
[tex]\left|\vec{A}\,\right|^2=\vec{A}\cdot\vec{A}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{A}\cdot\left(\vec{B}+\vec{C}\right)=\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B}+\vec{A}\cdot\vec{C}\quad\text{and}\quad\left(\vec{B}+\vec{C}\right)\cdot\vec{A}=\vec{B}\cdot\vec{A}+\vec{C}\cdot\vec{A}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B}=\vec{B}\cdot\vec{A}[/tex]

etc.​
For instance:

[tex]\left|\vec{X}+\vec{Y}\right|^2=\vec{X}\cdot\vec{X}+2\vec{X}\cdot\vec{Y}+\vec{Y}\cdot\vec{Y}[/tex]

1. What are the general properties of vectors?

The general properties of vectors include commutativity, associativity, distributivity, and the existence of an additive identity and inverse.

2. How do these properties help with proving using vectors?

These properties provide a framework for manipulating and simplifying vector equations, making it easier to prove statements using vectors.

3. Can you give an example of proving using general properties of vectors?

Yes, for example, we can prove that the cross product of two vectors is orthogonal to both of those vectors by using the distributivity and commutativity properties.

4. Are these properties specific to vectors or can they be applied to other mathematical operations?

These properties are not specific to vectors and can be applied to other mathematical operations, such as addition and multiplication of real numbers.

5. How can I use these properties to simplify vector equations?

By using these properties, you can rearrange and combine terms in vector equations to make them more manageable and easier to work with.