1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove x belongs to the set or is an accumulation point.

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let S be a nonempty set of real numbers bounded from above and let x=supS. Prove x either belongs to the set or is an accumulation point of S.

2. Relevant equations
    x is an accumulation point of S iff each neighborhood of x contains a member of S different from x. That is, every neighborhood of x contains infinitely many points of S.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, do I need to prove that if x is not a member of S, then it is an accumulation point? I am a little confused about how to go about this.

So, there would obviously be two possibilities. Either x is a member of S, or it is not. If not, we need to prove x is an accumulation point. Wouldn't we need to know that S is infinite though? Is so, wouldn't it be much like the proof of the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2010 #2
    So, I might have got it...

I tried it by contradiction.
    Assume x is not a member of S and assume it is not an accumulation point of S. If there is a neighborhood (x - epsilon, x + epsilon) containing x that does not have a point of S, then (x - epsilon) is an upper bound of S that's less than x. This contradicts x being the LEAST upper bound of S. Therefore, we have found a contradiction and x is indeed an accumulation point of S.

Just a thought. Let me know if it's right!
  4. Feb 15, 2010 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's it exactly.
  5. Feb 15, 2010 #4
    Thanks Dick! :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook